Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Wagon for $1000 (bargain?)

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Why would diesel oil be the culprit?
Oils is oils ain't they?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah, I dont know, but thats 2 perfectly good engines Ive seen blow up now after they had it put in them..

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I have used diesel engine oil (Fleetmaster 15W40) in my VS before (ecotec V6) and my dad used it in his 5.0L V8, when the only other oil available was 20W50, and we didn't have any problems with it. Then after 5,000kms changed it again, but were able to go back to the normal engine oil.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah, Ive read on here heaps of times where people reckon theyve used diesel oil in their engine with no problem, but so far, whenever I seen someone actually put diesel oil in one of these engines first hand, its blown up. And both these engines were running perfectly before the diesel oil was used.
I dont know if some diesel oils are ok for petrol engines. I do know that some petrol engine oils are also ok for use in some types of diesel engines. From what I can find out on the net from all different sites and forums etc, is that most diesel oils will have way too much detergent(s) added to them to be safely used in petrol engines and they can cause engine damage if used..just as it has done in both the cases that I know of.
Also the girl I bought the car from said the car was driven around for a day or two before it started to rattle and smoke. This is why I didnt believe their story when they said that it was the oil filter that had came loose.They certainly wouldnt have driven it very far if it were a loose oil filter.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Before you start pulling motor out, maybe check that it is not something sensor related that is making it rattle and blow smoke first. Or even vacuum hose related. :)

batemada

Reaction score
Wellington, New Zealand (Yes i know yet another KI
Members Ride
2009 Gold Calais V Sportwagon
Diesel oil in a petrol motor should be fine as long as its viscosity is a close match to what the car should have for normal petrol oils. A lot of garages here in NZ swear by using Diesel oils in petrol motors because of the detergents in the oil helping to keep the motor a bit cleaner on the inside.
I have had diesel oil put in both my old VT, VY and my old 2.3 4cyl Honda Accord and if anything I found the motors ran a bit smoother than when they had the regular oil in them.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Bfore you start pulling motor out, maybe check that it is not something sensor related that is making it rattle and blow smoke first. Or even vacuum hose related.
Yeah, im gonna pull the thing apart once I get it out, the engines knocking something horrible, so its not just something simple thats wrong with it. I will post up on here what I find though once I get it out and apart. Im interested myself to see whats actually gone wrong with it.
I dont know what sort of diesel oil theyve used in it, all they said was it was diesel oil, and by the looks of things, some types of diesel oils aint any good for them.
Thanks for the replys and input people, I appreciate it.I will post up what I find out.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If the car had been seriously neglected, as it appears, there's a good chance the oil hadn't been changed for a long time. Replacing it with high detergent diesel would have cleaned a fair bit of sludge out and this could quickly clog the oil filter, leading to oil starvation and dead rings and bearings. However, the oil pressure light could have been showing for weeks while the car was still being driven and the owner didn't care. The oil level could have been seriously low as well. By the time the diesel oil was used, the damage was already done. Using the diesel just loosened a lot of muck and probably hastened the end.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The oil had only been in there for a day. The car had only been driven around 70 km according to the km scratched onto the oil filter. Also I noticed that the engine looks clean in around the rockers etc. It doesnt look like theres ever been any buildup of sludge etc, Ive seen these engines end up in an absolutely filthy state around the rockers etc when the services have been majorly neglected. The car was also serviced a few months back by a garage or whatever according to the sticker on the windscreen.

Last edited: