Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Wiper switch -convert to variable intermittant

lemonaed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7
hi

I have a VYII but the wipers only allow intermittent. I am living in Ireland and it rains here nearly all the time! I'd love to change my wiper switch to variable intermittent.

My question is whether it is a straight forward case of changing the wiper switch, or is there more involved with circuitry etc.

Many thanks. Love this site, especially when no one in this country knows what a commodore is!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Unfortunately you would need to upgrade the body control module to one that allows variable speed wipers and that will be on the expensive side.

lemonaed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7
Unfortunately you would need to upgrade the body control module to one that allows variable speed wipers and that will be on the expensive side.

Cheers mate for the reply. Just a quick question. Where would i find the body control module? If I did get my hands on one is it a big job to change them over?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Cheers mate for the reply. Just a quick question. Where would i find the body control module? If I did get my hands on one is it a big job to change them over?
The BCM is on the driver's side, up behind the fuse panel inside the car. Easy to change but you will need the key that comes with the BCM you buy. The BCM must then be linked to the ECU or the car will not start, but special equipment is necessary to link the BCM to the ECU and that might be difficult to find where you are.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Surely there would be a fairly easy way to make your own system up. I would have to investigate how the system works.

lemonaed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7
Surely there would be a fairly easy way to make your own system up. I would have to investigate how the system works.

It sounds like a big job. Don't think i'll venture down the path of changing the BCM!

Anything you can find out is appreciated.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I dont think I am going to be able to help too much. If I was doing it though this is what I would do:

Firstly get a variable switch from another car. Find out how the selector works, if it is switching a resistor or switch or exactly what the little wheel is doing.

Next I would need to find out exactly how the windscreen motor is controlled. Does a single 12V signal get the wiper across and back, or do you need to swap the 12V to get the motor to reverse and bring the wiper back.

You could not increase the speed of the wipers from a lower setting, so you would switch to a faster setting and decrease it from there.

Thats about all I can do without getting really involved with the project myself. Hope you have some luck. Maybe if you can find me a wiring diagram I might be able to help some more.

I would do some googling too, as there are people out there that have played around with this before:

Miata Intermittent Wiper Control

Every system could be different and this probably wont work, but I did read there are variable wiper kits. Might be worth investigating.

eBay Motors: Windshield Variable delay wiper control -Astrolab (item 200281906536 end time Dec-06-08 06:22:30 PST)

lemonaed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7
thanks for the feedback mate, Really appreciated. I have a wiring diagram out of the Haynes manual. I'll try and upload it soon.

VZSSTHUNDER06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman S2
I really don't think you'll need to upgrade the BCM for this, the VY Wiper Schematic shows a Dwell Control Switch and it goes to the same pin number as the VZ Dwell Control Switch. I'm going to try wire a VZ Wiper Stalk tomorrow night to my VY SS Crewman, I will post how I went.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The BCM for this function has a plug in the forward facing of it.
This is an additional plug to those located facing downward to the floor as are standard for most.
VY and VZ present the same.

You need a BCM "Lux" or "High". On these it is a feature available. Variable dwell standard feature and speed dependant timing is a user selectable feature.

Low and Mid BCM's do not have this feature at all. Nor the ability to activate it or add it. It's just not there.

Last edited: