Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY2 Berlina Wagon - H11 Low beam is a POS! :( Better bulb advice PSE?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
I have to wonder why these cars seem so prone to warped discs - both of my Monaros had warped discs when I bought them, despite having plenty of metal left, and now the current car is starting to suffer again after just 2 years
cheap rotors and pads most likely.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
yeah cheap rotors will do that very quickly. I got some of the cheapies off ebay a couple of years ago and it barely took 6 months for them to get hot spots again. Replaced them with DBA rotors and been good for a long time now

Richard Moss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chevrolet Lumina Coupe S (Monaro CV6)
Good quality (EBC) pads and (Raybestos) discs

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
Well I've got a compete set of 4 Bosch rotors for my Executive Wagon (My daily) and Bendix Premium Ceramic pads waiting. Supercheap does half price sales from time to time so very reasonable. The rotors were $32 each for example.
When the sail comes about again I will do the same for the Berlina Wagon

Apparently warped disc's are common not only for the Commodores of the era but also the Borket Falcon's of the same era.
.-.-.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have Bosch rotors on the front and they are ok but that's as good as they get. I have found they are softer and will form a ridge quicker than RDA's or DBA's in a higher quality range. Falcon's have been shockers on rotors back as far as EF and probably longer.

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
Yea, it was hinted that Bosch aren't the best and to go DBA etc. It was a price point thing for me at the time. I haven't fitted them yet.
I exist on a fairly tight budget so plan ahead a lot when it comes to living expenses. The half price deal was the clincher for me.
With the price of fuel currently the cars don't get a lot of use anyhow at the moment.

I'm still trying to decide on bulbs. I'd like Plus 100's in a long life but the budget I set of around $60 a pair isn't looking good. Even on eBay.
.-.-.

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
OK. So still mucking with this.
I ordered some Chickidy China ones on eBay.
<$3 each delivered. They turned up the other day. Were supposed to be brighter then OEM. By about 60% I think.
No difference when fitted. :(
The originals were Osram branded. But looked stock. Also the filaments were pretty burnt and white oxidised. So I assume nearing EOL.
I'm starting to wonder about LED's. I don't want to do the shocking mod where you cut a ring hole in the back cover for the ugly fan to hang out of.
I do see many now that look stock size and should fit but don't have the fan.
But they always have the disclaimer of "not suitable as driving / headlights". What's the go?

Otherwise it's looking like back to the Philips +100's as a last ditch effort at around ~$65 currently.
I also have to do the H3 Fog Lights. One has a dead globe. Fitted is 12v H3 55W. But I don't know if that's the factory fitted wattage?
.-.-.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Forget LEDs they won't throw the distance you're after. Get some plus 100s or 120s or 130s if they can be bought. Failing that upgrade the harness with some 6mm and 40a relays and run 100w/130w Bosch. I have done that before and it was brill. Just make sure the housings can handle the extra heat, some can't.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Ok for the headlights, I bought a pair of these LEDs for my old Audi A4, put them in the high beam spot and they are amazing! Super white light, long throw and NO MODS to the casing, ie reversible if you need.
I know it's more then you were wanting to spend but have a look at them anyway.

https://www.stedi.com.au/holden-led-light-conversion-kit.html

I also have an aftermarket HID kit from jaycar in the low beams as on my car the LEDs were physically too large to fit in the low beam spot (Factory Audi Projectors by the way, so no-one go crazy about HIDs in reflector housings.)
Factory HID look to them as in no super blue light, only the tinge you get with factory ones.

But i'd go LED if you had a choice between them, just that bit nicer, no warm up time, and run cooler, and direct replacement.

Forget LEDs they won't throw the distance you're after. Get some plus 100s or 120s or 130s if they can be bought. Failing that upgrade the harness with some 6mm and 40a relays and run 100w/130w Bosch. I have done that before and it was brill. Just make sure the housings can handle the extra heat, some can't.

I melted some lenses once doing that. lol. only 100 watts too.

Last edited:

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
OK. Thanks for the info.
Looks like Philips +100 , H11 's for the low beam then.
The LED conversion for the high beam looks nice. But for now the high beam is quiet good. I have no idea why Low is so bad. But I did find the same problem with my Executive wagon and had to put Narva +60 , H4 's in it. Made it much better but probably should have gone +100 's for it as well.