Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY2 Clubbie Engine warning when starting / Hard to start.

AstroSpectra

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Hsv Clubsport
Hi All. First time poster. Had my car for approx 14 years now. I have a new issue in the last 6 months or so, (Dont drive it often) i get a check engine light when starting. this is usually fixed by turning off the car once or twice, then starting it again and it cranks over just fine. I also have a fault where sometimes the engine light is off. but its hard to start. cranks over for maybe 5-6 seconds and Idles very low as if its gonna stall but then comes good. this seems worse when the car has been driven and sits for maybe 2 hours or so. havnt noticed while its cold or red hot.
Note, Once the car is started everything seems good. no wierd behaviour.

I recently replaced the old Starter Motor as its Solenoid was hammered after all those years with a new Bosch starter. I do have the Envyous customs software but its not reading a fault from the pcm for my engine light. nothing is stored. have also tried some android apps with bluetooth OBD2 connection. nothing there either.

Also recently had ABS Fault due to a wheel sensor faulty from recent track day. Probably unrelated but have replaced a rectified.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
need to get it on a scanner.

AstroSpectra

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Hsv Clubsport
ok so I have worked it out...

So the dodgy beeps followed by no start was the key. the plastics have busted apart slightly and the fob spade was not touching the key.,... so no connection with barrel. Pulled out the spare 17 year old key and issue is now resolved.... I tested the fault by removing the old key tongue from fob and then I had the exact fault as before every time...

Seems I have also fixed the bad starting issue in the process... Does the PCM have to relearn after a security issue... its been faultless since fixing the key.

seems most scanners wont recognise if the key is stuffed. as the PCM isn't connected. Maybe someone can shed more light here.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
My sheding light is to -

Purchase a NEW GENUINE KEY HEAD, Install t he original Blade, and get it programming correctly, without the Toy MAP Programmers,
A New Genuine Key Head would probably last you another 17 years.

You have got your moneys worth out the old one/s.

Do it Once, Do it properly !

AstroSpectra

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Hsv Clubsport
yeah im jst gonna get a genuuine one so i dont get stuck somewhere.. will monitor the bad start issue but for now its resolved.