Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY2 idle issues

chaostommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS ute VY2 sc Calais
I bought a vy2 Calais at the end of last year and think I might have picked up when old mate sensed things were gonna go down hill so sold it to me. It's a 3.8sc (l67) running 10lb. As the guy before me did these following mods I don't know fact from fiction although he did show me receipts.Basically the motor is rebuilt with forged pistons, aftermarket cam, bearings, high ratio rockers# Cold air intake and Mafless tune + modular pulley on the blower, pacemaker extractors and the full exhaust. It goes nice but as soon as you back off the gas the idle drops right down to nearly stall! Rolling down a hill it just bounces between 500rpm and up to say 1500rpm without touching the gas. So far I've replaced alternator, iridium plugs and leads but not coil pack and replaced fuel filter. The whole maf less tune to me looks like it was a case of cut some wires off and go for broke. Any ideas guys?

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Sound like it would have some get up and go with those mods, I know the bloke that brought my old S/C Stato told me he had the same type of issues as yours and it turned out to be a weak coil pack.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
My old man had a ford with a similar issue, turned out the computer needed a tune up. But like you said you havent replaced the coil pack.

chaostommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS ute VY2 sc Calais
Coil pack was my guess... Thanks guys

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
check your Idle Control Valve... it sits on top of the throttlebody
i had the same issue and once i cleaned it out problems solved... that being said if the engine has been rebuilt recently i dunno whether it would be dirty but better check anyway

BWNVY2

TL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Calais L67
this is common for L67 with boost mods. its just rev hunting. it can be fixed by a slight turn of the idle screw or mapped out in a tune. i used to have the issue with my old L67 intercooled. Hope that helps

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
^^ agreed, My car did the same thing on the tune, needed to adjust the idle screw in the throttle body, otherwise get it retuned.