Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VYII SS missing badly but only in wet.....

jonnyturbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII SS
g'day all. my ss is off the road at the moment so can't get it to a diagnostic tool. when being driven in the wet it develope's a huge miss no matter what the speed or rev's. have changed lead's and plug's and are a bit stumped as to what is next. have spoken to a few mechanic's, even holden dealership's and they are cluless as to what it could be off the top of their head's. any idea's please?

beaker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Hi there.
i'm no mechanic.. but had a similar (sounding) symptom on a trip down the south island a few years back.. tho mine had nothing to do with the rain.

in my case, the pipe from the airbox to the MAF sensor had come loose, it was barely noticable. found a few bugs had got stuck on it too.
i cleaned it off on the side of the road, tignened it back up, and was all good after that.

hope its something simple like that.

350SV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 5.7 M6
Just a thought

TURN THE TRACTION CONTROL OFF???? :yeah: Ha ha couldnt resist

jonnyturbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII SS
yeh would be good if the power was that uncontrolable hahahaha. had a few mod's done to it... mafless, 92mm throttle body "fast" inlet manifold, mild cam upgrade, ported & polished head's, edelbrock extractor's and 2 & 3/4 with no cat's. dunno if the car was doing it before the cam job which i got done straight after i purchased it which was when the mafless tune got done. kinda wondering if the mafless has something to do with it. one guy said something about the vein's in the torque converter.... not sure about that one though. changed lead's and plug's,and looked all over for bare wire's or cracked hoses. air box is dry etc......

jonnyturbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII SS
pacemaker..... not edelbrock. why do i alway's say edelbrock??...... must be fascinated wit the last 5 letter's..........

beaker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Today 01:29 PM
jonnyturbo yeh would be good if the power was that uncontrolable hahahaha. had a few mod's done to it... mafless, 92mm throttle body "fast" inlet manifold, mild cam upgrade, ported & polished head's, edelbrock extractor's and 2 & 3/4 with no cat's. dunno if the car was doing it before the cam job which i got done straight after i purchased it which was when the mafless tune got done. kinda wondering if the mafless has something to do with it. one guy said something about the vein's in the torque converter.... not sure about that one though. changed lead's and plug's,and looked all over for bare wire's or cracked hoses. air box is dry etc......

haha.. righto, fair to say it's not MAF sensor then. :whistling
i'm liking the sound of your mods tho..:thumbsup:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Who did the work on the car? Thats probably a big clue as to whats wrong right there :p

jonnyturbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII SS
well no it won't be the sensor itself as it don't exist anymore hehehe. just wondering if it has caused a glitch somewhere in the computer or something. got the mechanic to turn off the maf error report that show's up when in for a service as the holden dealer mechanic's are somewhat cueless when it come's to explaining to them that it doesn't have one anymore....go figure. that caused a complete crap out on the car and wouldn't even start, so don't bother trying that 1 fella's. have had a mechanic hook up his laptop as i was told the error would be stored from when it last misfired, but has shown nothing.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Well, i'd be more worried about getting pinged not running cats, at least if you get caught, your car not running correctly will be the least of your worries.

jonnyturbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII SS
pinged for no cat's??? don't think they do that over here in nz mate...... musn't do, it passed it's last warrant..... we can't be as "green" as one would think.