Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VYII Suspension

vy2ber

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Berlina
Is it just me or is the suspension in the VY (I have a VYII Berlina) really hard. For a vehicle that cost $45K(new) the ride stinks. I am quite disappointed with it particualrly since it's cornering isn't that brilliant. At first it seemed ok, but any 'new' car does. It seems to be getting worse but that could be just me. I previously had a '94 VR and admittedly it was spongy but much more comfortable than the '05 Berlina. I hear the suspension was changed in a recent model but I think they have gone to the opposite extreme. What does anyone else think.

SPack

Wish it would rain......
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 sportwagon (phantom)
Mate, pop the hood and check your data plate: If the section titled "SUSP" has FE2 inscribed on it, you will have to get used to the rough ride.

FE2 is the sports suspension pack as per S/SS models. If that is the case- it's surprising that you feel the cornering is not so good; my S pack corners like it is on rails compared to the standard suspension (but yes, the ride is pretty hard):cool:

Jeffro74

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wanna bee SS
must be fe2 i have berlina with the standard susp it was as smooth as had to change it i hated the ride :p
now its hard ::)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
vy2ber said:
Is it just me or is the suspension in the VY (I have a VYII Berlina) really hard. For a vehicle that cost $45K(new) the ride stinks. I am quite disappointed with it particualrly since it's cornering isn't that brilliant. At first it seemed ok, but any 'new' car does. It seems to be getting worse but that could be just me. I previously had a '94 VR and admittedly it was spongy but much more comfortable than the '05 Berlina. I hear the suspension was changed in a recent model but I think they have gone to the opposite extreme. What does anyone else think.

You didn't test drive the car before you bought it??? I have a VYII SS and it seems fine to me - maybe a little firmer than the BA Ghia that I also drive but not excessive. Are the wheels & tyres stock??

Reaper

VYSHSV8

**** happens
Reaction score
Website
www.ls1-australia.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 M6
Dont forget some of the Berlinas came with a suspension pack named FE1.5 as well not as harsh as FE2.. This is what I have been told so dont quote me on this..

brentmc

Custom: Better than stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYS S1
Well, theres nothing wrong with FE2 suspension in my opinion. If you get a sports pack, or options listed as sporty then you can expect to get a stiffer (sportier) ride.

Really I thought the standard suspension in say the executives wasnt all that much different...I mean, yeah its a bit smoother...but not by much.

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
VYSHSV8 said:
Dont forget some of the Berlinas came with a suspension pack named FE1.5 as well not as harsh as FE2..
No, that package is only available on Calais. Well that's how it was on VYII, not sure about VZ.

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
vy2ber said:
I previously had a '94 VR and admittedly it was spongy but much more comfortable than the '05 Berlina.
How old were the shock absorbers in it? You're supposed to change them every 40,000km, but people never do.

VYSHSV8

**** happens
Reaction score
Website
www.ls1-australia.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 M6
clixanup said:
No, that package is only available on Calais. Well that's how it was on VYII, not sure about VZ.

Thanks for that new it was one of them..

SPack

Wish it would rain......
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 sportwagon (phantom)
brentmc said:
Well, theres nothing wrong with FE2 suspension in my opinion. If you get a sports pack, or options listed as sporty then you can expect to get a stiffer (sportier) ride.

Mate, I'm with you all the way; I don't have the best roads to drive on- rough as guts really (QLD Govt) - so a lot of my driving is pretty uncomfortable, but when I hit those nice smooth curves mm-mmmmm........sweet as.........:w00t: