Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 05 Calais - current leak - electric seats HELP

Sergeo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ calais v6 3.6
hi lads

I've got a problem with a current leak in my VZ 05 calais. i've narrowed the problem down to the electric seats or possible the Memory seat module/ switch.

I've had the battery run flat 3 times all overnight, and the problem has gone away ever since i disconnected the fuse for the electric seats ( no more leak, but both passenger and driver seats AND mirrors cannot be adjusted obviously)

when the fuse is in, the seats can be moved manually, but the memory features aren't working... so i'm suspecting its the actual memory switch which is causing the leak,

can anyone suggest as to how i can pinpoint where exactly its shortening. its drawing 2AMPs continuously, correct me if i'm wrong but thats too little for the electric seat motors?
holden suspects ( and aren't sure) that its the Memory seat module ($ 700 to supply ) they're suggesting i start with replacing that.... they're laughing if they think i'm jsut going to fork out the dosh for their guess.

any ideas would help.

cheers

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Not familiar with the VZ setup, but if the memory seat setup has buttons like others, you may just have a buildup of grime around or under buttons. Some careful blasts with compressed air or maybe electronics cleaner around the buttons may help. The gunk either won't let the buttons return properly or is causing a short through the gunk itself.

H Bomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais
hi lads

I've got a problem with a current leak in my VZ 05 calais. i've narrowed the problem down to the electric seats or possible the Memory seat module/ switch.

I've had the battery run flat 3 times all overnight, and the problem has gone away ever since i disconnected the fuse for the electric seats ( no more leak, but both passenger and driver seats AND mirrors cannot be adjusted obviously)

when the fuse is in, the seats can be moved manually, but the memory features aren't working... so i'm suspecting its the actual memory switch which is causing the leak,

can anyone suggest as to how i can pinpoint where exactly its shortening. its drawing 2AMPs continuously, correct me if i'm wrong but thats too little for the electric seat motors?
holden suspects ( and aren't sure) that its the Memory seat module ($ 700 to supply ) they're suggesting i start with replacing that.... they're laughing if they think i'm jsut going to fork out the dosh for their guess.

any ideas would help.

cheers

Amazing coincidence thread mate. I have just returned from my mechanic with the exact same problem. My VYII is drawing 1.8 and when we trouble shooted we got it down to the drivers seat. It too has drained my battery to which I got a new one and now it is getting drained too, so I have removed the fuse also and now the wife just drives as I cant be bothered changing the drive position.
Interestingly my memory function hasnt worked for ages, I did have this problem years ago but it was much more obvious as the seat would do ghost things overnight and move itself randomly which would then flat the battery. I found this out as when I went to remove the fuse (resistor) it was hot as. I had it fixed at an auto elec and he actually said he took the switch out and cleaned it up as suggested and it has been fine since. So I will be inspecting it and trying that again this weekend.
The other thing that was suggested was maybe the timer that times out after the key is removed is not working either as when the window is down and i leave the car for ages or even lock it or deadlock it the seats are still electrically adjustable. I thought they should have been dead until the car was unlocked, or everything should have been dead when it was deadlocked.