Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 175 Shift Kit?

Matt VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hey. I tried doing a search before opening a new thread, but couldn't find much.

Just wondering if anyone here has a Stage 2 Shift kit in their VZ?
If you do have one, or you know, what are the positives and negatives of getting a shift kit?
Obviously it would give you firmer shifts but I'm just after some opinions from anyone who has one.

Thanks for your help.

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
just turn up your line pressure , it will then shift a lot quicker and cheaper than a shift kit.. negative it bumps into gear espically reverse, but you get used too it

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Positives, it shifts harder causing less heat build up in the trans due to clutches and bands slipping. It will also increase the life of your transmission. Negatives are it will wear out tail shaft couplings quicker and possibly tyres depending on your driving style :p

Matt VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Thanks heaps for the quick replies.

Loopie, What do I need to do to turn up the line pressure? Will it have the same effect as a shift kit?
Thanks Richard for your detailed response.

Whats a rough price I'd be looking at to get it done?
You can buy the kit online for around 200

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
I had mine done in Brisbane for 440, that includes shiming the bands, service and filter plus the shift kit

Matt VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Thats a pretty good price. Ill start looking around next week. Might get this before an exhaust. Cheaper and probably more fun too.
Thanks.

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
I got the trans serviced about $140, charged a extra $50 do adjust it,, not sure what they done accumulator valve pressure I think,, IT was in a vx.. IM sure the vz would be the same,,, I did over 80,000km and had no issues

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
For $440 you may as well order a mail order AutoCal tune and have them adjust the TCM shift points, and chuck in a few engine tunes too

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Just look at some of the 0-100 videos of mafless tuned ls1, even though they have the auto recalibrated, it shifts no where near as good as a shift kit. I should have a vy ss 1/4 mile run on YouTube for comparison reasons if you feel the need to compare the difference between a tuned auto and a shift kitted auto.