Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 190 220kw Possible?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I agree with Post #10; the VZ has rather lily-livered suspension with problems at the rear end (splayed wheels, premature wear of the swaybar and bushings) and far less bitey brakes than e.g. the VF, which has a noticeable "grab". I wouldn't hold out much hope that mods on an old VZ will return favourable results (placebo effect maybe, but not real world, eye-popping performance figures), but they could return with a Defect notice (can be issued even if a brake light is found not to be working!) or stress the engine to the point of failure somewhere. A better idea would be to stash the cash and upgrade to the next big thing in the line of cars that followed (VEs, VFs). Yes, I noted you love the VZs, and trust me, the VZs are good for travelling — lots of travelling, and they will return the best dividends when they are driven well and serviced well (but not over-serviced!), rather than thrashed around with the 'Broady Boys' in a vacant backlot.

Last edited:

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VZ SV6 Commodore 5 Speed AUTO 3.6L
I agree with Post #10; the VZ has rather lily-livered suspension with problems at the rear end (splayed wheels, premature wear of the swaybar and bushings) and far less bitey brakes than e.g. the VF, which has a noticeable "grab". I wouldn't hold out much hope that mods on an old VZ will return favourable results (placebo effect maybe, but not real world, eye-popping performance figures), but they could return with a Defect notice (can be issued even if a brake light is found not to be working!) or stress the engine to the point of failure somewhere. A better idea would be to stash the cash and upgrade to the next big thing in the line of cars that followed (VEs, VFs). Yes, I noted you love the VZs, and trust me, the VZs are good for travelling — lots of travelling, and they will return the best dividends when they are driven well and serviced well (but not over-serviced!), rather than thrashed around with the 'Broady Boys' in a vacant backlot.
I never thrash my car what so ever or rip any skids and burnouts just the sometimes foot to the floor that's mainly it

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
220 would be nice until I get my full licence then LS it is

That's pissing away a lot of cash to temporarily achieve the stock output of some other Commodore.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
That's pissing away a lot of cash to temporarily achieve the stock output of some other Commodore.
True but I’m sure a lot of us played around with 6’s or other crap cars when we were younger and still had fun with it? Long term yea it’s probably a waste of money but at the end of the day it’s his choice, nothing wrong with playing around and learning in the process

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
True but I’m sure a lot of us played around with 6’s or other crap cars when we were younger and still had fun with it? Long term yea it’s probably a waste of money but at the end of the day it’s his choice, nothing wrong with playing around and learning in the process

yeah but the old straight 6's were worth playing with - and cheap to get good results.

mine was cammed, high compression heads, triple carbs, pacemaker headers fiddled with diff ratios - the V6 in the VZ is a bit of a disappointing unit until you spend megabucks on a turbo or maybe the supercharger. and i'm yet to hear one that actually sounds any good. I started with better brakes and suspension though - those should go before go faster bits IMHO. More power? Think about controlling it FIRST.

An exhaust to get there is just the wrong approach - the exhaust should almost be considered as part of a greater process.

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VZ SV6 Commodore 5 Speed AUTO 3.6L
Thanks man

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm closing in on 50 and still like messing with the six...... I could have done a V8 swap for similar price by the time I finish with mine late this year......lol

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Do you really want to modify an Alloytech?
It makes a much better boat anchor.....