Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 190KW Cam sensor kills motor

madmatt2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
Soarer 1jzgtt VH commodore VZ svz
Hi Guy's :)

Still trying to work out this VZ ute after engine swap. I have got the motor running but I have issues with right side inlet cam sensor wiring or possibly something else is interfering with it!

So here is what I have to do to get it to start. plugin all four cam sensors, turn engine over is pops and crackles no starting. Next unplug all cam sensors turn engine over it starts! (runs rough). Next I plugin left exhaust cam sensor ( while running ) then I plugin left inlet cam sensor engine runs smother. Next I plugin right exhaust cam sensor ( while running ) engine start running real good smooth, then I plugin right inlet cam sensor kills engine stops running!

things I have tried
1. new cam sensor on right inlet. no change still have to do all the stuff to get it running.
2. tried 2 ECU's and BCM same result!

I'm going to check wires see picture

ecu pin out jc.png

What else could be the cause o_O please help this has me stuffed!

madmatt2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
full story please help!

Hi Guy's a bit of an update.

I spoke to the guy I got the ute off about stuff he had tired. He was driving it home one day and it just dies this is the original motor, after lots of messing around he had come to the conclusion it was the timing chains on the original motor, so he replaced them with a proper set from Holden, he recons he did it right, he sounded like he knew what he as doing, after he replaced the he still has same issue popping misfire (no start). So he sent his ECU BCM PIM and Key head to be tested all checked out ok
icon_rolleyes.gif
he figured has to be stuffed motor, So he replaced it and to his disbelief it would not start
icon_wtf.gif
So he listed it on gumtree. I was the unlucky bugger to purchase the nightmare
icon_lol.gif

So when I got it home I tried a few things to get it going, it never gives error codes so to make sure it was all working I unplugged fuel pump relay scan tool picked it up strait away, so it confirms computer are recording errors. So I figured maybe it's a stretched timing chain, but really it should throw errors for that issue! anyway I ripped the motor apart and replaced them and the gears and tentioners, yes I used cam locks so all aligned perfect. put back together same **** popping misfire (no start) you would not believe the profanities that came out of my mouth
ranting.gif
ranting.gif
wall.gif
comp26.gif
icon_evil.gif

So I thought screw this let's hit this nail on the head
icon_mad.gif
I purchased a complete replacement engine Yes that's right engine number 3 in the ute OMFG this has to work
icon_problem.gif
engine 3 is complete motor with engine loom and all accessories (everything) sensors, packs, starter, alt even the friken air box and the computers ECU BCM, so everything!
icon_thumbup.gif

So swap it all over (everything) no ****...
icon_thumbup.gif
go to start it but it would not turn over because ECU BCM out of auto, so I got them reprogrammed at my place all worked this guy has done it many many times. Cross fingers and pray this thing will start
icon_e_sad.gif
guess what popping misfire (no start) at this stage I ram for a BOX OF MATCHES but the misses stopped me
ranting.gif
wall.gif

So all that is left original is the in cabin wiring that goes from ECU to inside cabin.

I even called the guy I got engine no.3 off, he promises it was a runner and cannot understand why not running. it was running in a car less than 3 weeks ago...

Last night I changed all cam sensors and crank sensor and tested cam sensor voltage pin1 0V (pulse wire) pin 2 & 3 5V same across all cam sensors. Still no start
wall.gif

Why would it only start with cam sensor disconnected? it never starts with them connected. when I start the car and plug them in it always dies on right intake cam sensor.

3 motors so it cant be cam sensor or plate it reads.

any suggestions would be great!

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
I bet you have a short in the loom somewhere.

madmatt2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Guy's

I checked the loom and cam wires. mine is different to the diagram, is there a difference in looms and years to do with cam sensors?

mine is wired like below
127 right exhaust. should be a36 is a20
128 left exhaust. should be a20 is a60
129 left intake. should be a53 is a75
130 right intake. should be a4 is a4

madmatt2006

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Guy's

127 right exhaust. should be a36 is a20
128 left exhaust. should be a20 is a36
129 left intake. should be a53 is a53
130 right intake. should be a4 is a4

so right&left exhaust is wrong.

after checking second loom and pin were the same, I thought what there can't be 2 engine looms wired wrong! :wtf:

My ute is an 07 the engine and loom are 05

then I stumbled across this, what is this about they changed the looms?
loom change.PNG

information from http://australiancar.reviews/holden_LE0.php
has anyone got the wiring diagram for above