Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 2nd hand / recondition engine

JCurt86

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK
Hello Everyone

I put my car in for a service today and the mechanic said that there was oil in airtake pipe and timing chains are noisey and various other oil leaks and that i will be up for a new engine, it only has 191k on the clock and apparently was serviced regularly.

i live a 40 mins away north of Brisbane, would anyone know of any places i can either buy a 2nd hand motor or a recondition motor?

its a alloytec 10HBA v6 engine

thank you
Jade

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Repco Morayfield will be able to help with reconditioned engine, also Narangba Wreckers for second hand, but I would be going to another mechanic first.
I have a good mechanic on the coast at Warana.
Reliable and not a thief.
Just to put you in the picture, I had a mate with a diesel Pajero with leaking injector pump, was quoted $6500 to fix, my mechanic did it for $330
PM me for his contact if you want it.

JCurt86

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK
Well now i am not sure if i need a new motor or not

getting told different things but this is the report that i got from my mechanic, if anyone knows just by looking at the report if i need to get a 2nd hand motor or not that would be great.

Attachments

• mycarreport.jpg
    mycarreport.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 140

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Just keep driving it.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Just keep driving it.

The report certainly shows supply and fit second hand engine at $3990 but I have to agree with black ve.
Oil and coolant is much cheaper than parts and labour.
Looking at the report, only thing I would seriously check would be the front wheel bearing, and maybe the indicator(depending on how bad) so the cops don't harass you.
Don't know what the RACQ costs these days but I would suggest you sign up with them.
The report means you would be spending almost $6000 on a car worth all of about $3000 once it is fixed.

Last edited:

JCurt86

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK
yeah i took it for a drive today and its not blowing smoke, don't notice any loss in power, i didn't really notice anything except for a tapping sound, i'll take it to another mechanic and see what they say, other then that i'll just sign up to RACQ and see what happens

thanks for the advice :)

cheers
Jade

Bonus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6
Honestly sounds like bullshit - at the most it may need the timing chain done at some stage if it throws a check engine light, but just because of a few oil leaks etc is not a good enough reason to condemn the engine.

A little oil in the intake pipe is normal, just needs to be cleaned out every now and then

Sounds like they are trying to take you for a ride

JCurt86

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK
yeah i've used this mechanic for years now but since the head mechanic has left and another mechanic has taken over its gone down hill, so now im in need to find another mechanic, the one rambunctious suggested sounds good, but on some days might be a little far to travel for me so going to have to scout out a local one i guess.

hallb82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I clean oil from my air intake duct every time i service my vz. Have done ever since i started servicing it myself. I also have oil leaks around the front of my engine which i assume would get fixed if or when i do the timing chains. Until then ill just keep the oil changes up and keep driving it.

I thought about getting a recon motor to change it out if the original fails but meh there's time for that if it happens.