Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz 3.6 Cranks but wont start

GlennT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Sv6 Manual
Hey so i am having a problem with my vz.
I had the car driving real nice, i drove it around for 20mins around town and it started getting real gutless, also sounded real deep like air flow box was undone, then the check powtrain came on for a little bit and dissapeared, i drove it home now it just cranks and wont start.
It has done this once before and found it has **** fuel in it that i drained and put 98 in, ran perfectly after that
I have replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the lines out, ive taken it to two shops and they have no idea

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I assume that the shops scanned for error codes. Did anything come up?

GlennT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Sv6 Manual
I assume that the shops scanned for error codes. Did anything come up?
Yep shops did scan for codes, came up with cam sensor bank 1 and oil pressure switch, both were replaced on the spot but still no luck, thoughs codes also came up before i had it running good.

GlennT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Sv6 Manual
It is now scanning as cam sensor bank 1 and 2, would it be timing chain or could it be pcm.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200124-150814.jpg
    Screenshot_20200124-150814.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 181

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
When a code for a sensor comes up, it doesn’t necessarily mean the sensor is faulty. It also means the sensor is doing its job.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It is now scanning as cam sensor bank 1 and 2, would it be timing chain or could it be pcm.
From my understanding, V6 timing chain stretch would cause the ecu to log fault codes P0008, P0009, P0016, P0017, P0018 or P0019, so maybe you have another issue. See this thread especially post #5 and #9.

I’m sure there are other threads that go into more detail about symptoms, fault codes, impacted models, repair methods, etc, so may be you can do a google search “justcommodores V6 timing chain stretch fault codes repair impacted models”, maybe add VZ and your fault codes in the search mix...

But there are a lot of threads on JC about this timing chain issue so may be you could first do a search... you may even find pearlers like this and this.

As for what it could be... sensor, wiring, ecu or possibly a diagnostic system that isn’t sophisticated enough to correctly localise the issue and gives a best guess (in which case the issue may not be the reported faulty sensor)...

Good luck with it all...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
PCM issue is not out the realm of possibilty, it is a common problem with the VZ V6 and some VE V6s.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Lucky they never used the VZ computers on the Space Shuttle... or did they?