Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz 3.6 into rodeo can be done

Feral4mr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6 alloytec190
I did the swap about 18 months ago, Ute is running overall really well. I am wanting to change what I've done and instead of running the rodeo ECU, rather run the VE ECU and get the extra power the motor can produce.
Have just completed this swap. I got the 190kw tune flashed to the rodeo ecu. Have used 190kw engine loom etc. Runs well, goes hard. Though are still a few communication issues so speedo doesn't work and it is only revving to 4000 rpm (The 4000 rpm issue apparently can be sorted easy once I send ecu back). These issues are in the process of being researched/sorted, but I will have to send ecu back to get that done.

1st time rodeo owner, coming from a auto 4jj1 auto dual cab rc colorado I unfortunately had to sell. 1st time alloytec (or any holden v6 for that matter). Apparently these engines run quite warm, which I do not like, this thing likes to sit in the higher 87-90 degrees.
So at some stage if I can get to the damn thermostat housing I will be doing a top hose thermostat relocation conversion with 71 degree thermostat. I've had good success doing this on other engines.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Runnings at those temps is fine.

Feral4mr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6 alloytec190
Runnings at those temps is fine.
Imo no. Specially when towing. Having a thermostat on the lower radiator so the whole system has to be 82 degrees plus to open the thermostat is a recipe for disaster if temps spike under load.
The 1kzte in Toyota surf's are a prime example. Given a bad name for cracking heads, the cooling system was not designed for Australian conditions.

The thermostat belongs in the top hose so the radiator does it's required job of cooling the coolant before it re-enters the engine.

This of course is my opinion after nearly 4 decades of building various engine and vehicles.

Cheers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Imo no. Specially when towing. Having a thermostat on the lower radiator so the whole system has to be 82 degrees plus to open the thermostat is a recipe for disaster if temps spike under load.
The 1kzte in Toyota surf's are a prime example. Given a bad name for cracking heads, the cooling system was not designed for Australian conditions.

The thermostat belongs in the top hose so the radiator does it's required job of cooling the coolant before it re-enters the engine.

This of course is my opinion after nearly 4 decades of building various engine and vehicles.

Cheers
Make sure you post how to relocate the Alloytec thermostat.

Feral4mr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6 alloytec190
Make sure you post how to relocate the Alloytec thermostat.
Will do mate. I should have done It before I put the engine in.
That thermostat housing is bit of a biatch to get to now. Haha doh