Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz 3.6 into rodeo can be done

REXDRUMMER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS UTE
For those trying to fit a vz 3.6 into a rodeo and cant find any info on it and actually get it running but the engine light is on and its in limp mode (limp mode wont rev over 4000 rpm)and have been told its impossible due to ecu not reading and sensor this and sensor that and the looms are different yada yada yada..
Im here to tell you it can be doneusing the rodeo cps and original wiring loom,I have a 2008 2wd rodeo with a 2005 vz 3.6 engine now running perfect..
So Heres the problem,Your rodeo 3.6 alloytec has only 1 CPS (Cam Position Sensor) on the front of the left hand side head and the vz 3.6 engine has 4,,This is because the vz ecu reads the 1st head (BANK A) as having 3 cylinders which is why they have 2 CPS,,3 per side (BANK A & BANK B)
Where the rodeo has one CPS on the left which reads 6 cylinders hence the reason people say theyre incompatible due to wiring loom being totally different,,which is partly true.
But if youve stumbled apon this writeup then your f...ing sorted cause theyre aint any info on the net for this conversion,,TRUST ME IVE LOOKED EVERYWHERE lol
SO ARE YOU READY FOR THE SOLUTION ARE YA WELL WELL HUH LOL

The solution is you need to swap the rodeos reluctor onto the vz engine,,sounds easy ay lol..Well its pretty simple really,,
Now in a perfect world these would just bolt rite on,,WRONG this uctually would be an easy fix but holden decided to change everything so it didnt suit,sprockets chains bolts,every damn f...ing thing is different,so heres what you do..
Undo the bolt on the cam on the rodeo,Gently pry off the reluctor which is on the front sprocket of the cam,,it does come off but be gentle as you
dont want to damage it. http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/images/attach/jpg.gif
Now find a 3mm thick plate and trace around the rodeos reluctor,,
On the vz engine take out the cps and remove the cam bolt,,dont even attempt to remove that skinny looking reluctor on the vz sprocket,,we tried and im pretty certian it doesnt come off.
Now put your new reluctor in front of the vz one with the vz cam bolt and tighten it up,,
But not all the way as you need to set tdc(Top Dead Centre,,it should look like this http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/images/attach/jpg.gif
Now go to the rodeo engine and find tdc,,now go to the vz engine and do the same,,once done line up the new reluctor (which is now in front of the vz one) relavent to where tdc is on the rodeo engine..
Tighten it up,,Now With a dye grinder you need to very carefully grind the old relucter through the gaps of the new one(which is now the new 3mm front plate) so it matches the new reluctor,,
If you dont do this the cps will read the old one as well as the new one and send all sorts of weird signals,,and make sure you cover every open area to ensure no metal shavings enter the engine or you mite as well give up now and buy a hilux lol..
Once your done with the grinding you need to put a rubber seal/ring on your cps to step it out compensating for the 3mm difference and also to stop any oil leaking out,,if not done when the cam turns the new relucter will smash your cps and probably damage your new relucter..And youll be pissed if youve come this far.
When youve finished that as long as you have done the plate and the timing relativly correct it should fire up with no problems.
If it the timings a little out dont worry as the ecu will compensate if it needs retarding or advancing..
And there you have it..No engine light faults anymore

Attachments

• 20160202_001146.jpg
    20160202_001146.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 2,858
  • 20160203_123304.jpg
    20160203_123304.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 2,181

tinkering

Reaction score
Members Ride
rodeo
For those trying to fit a vz 3.6 into a rodeo and cant find any info on it and actually get it running but the engine light is on and its in limp mode (limp mode wont rev over 4000 rpm)and have been told its impossible due to ecu not reading and sensor this and sensor that and the looms are different yada yada yada..
Im here to tell you it can be doneusing the rodeo cps and original wiring loom,I have a 2008 2wd rodeo with a 2005 vz 3.6 engine now running perfect..
So Heres the problem,Your rodeo 3.6 alloytec has only 1 CPS (Cam Position Sensor) on the front of the left hand side head and the vz 3.6 engine has 4,,This is because the vz ecu reads the 1st head (BANK A) as having 3 cylinders which is why they have 2 CPS,,3 per side (BANK A & BANK B)
Where the rodeo has one CPS on the left which reads 6 cylinders hence the reason people say theyre incompatible due to wiring loom being totally different,,which is partly true.
But if youve stumbled apon this writeup then your f...ing sorted cause theyre aint any info on the net for this conversion,,TRUST ME IVE LOOKED EVERYWHERE lol

The solution is you need to swap the rodeos reluctor onto the vz engine,,sounds easy ay lol..Well its pretty simple really,,
Now in a perfect world these would just bolt rite on,,WRONG this uctually would be an easy fix but holden decided to change everything so it didnt suit,sprockets chains bolts,every damn f...ing thing is different,so heres what you do..
Undo the bolt on the cam on the rodeo,Gently pry off the reluctor which is on the front sprocket of the cam,,it does come off but be gentle as you
dont want to damage it. http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/images/attach/jpg.gif
On the vz engine take out the cps and remove the cam bolt,,dont even attempt to remove that skinny looking reluctor on the vz sprocket,,we tried and im pretty certian it doesnt come off.
Now put your new reluctor in front of the vz one with the vz cam bolt and tighten it up,,
But not all the way as you need to set tdc(Top Dead Centre,,it should look like this http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/images/attach/jpg.gif
Now go to the rodeo engine and find tdc,,now go to the vz engine and do the same,,once done line up the new reluctor (which is now in front of the vz one) relavent to where tdc is on the rodeo engine..
Tighten it up,,Now With a dye grinder you need to very carefully grind the old relucter through the gaps of the new one(which is now the new 3mm front plate) so it matches the new reluctor,,
If you dont do this the cps will read the old one as well as the new one and send all sorts of weird signals,,and make sure you cover every open area to ensure no metal shavings enter the engine or you mite as well give up now and buy a hilux lol..
Once your done with the grinding you need to put a rubber seal/ring on your cps to step it out compensating for the 3mm difference and also to stop any oil leaking out,,if not done when the cam turns the new relucter will smash your cps and probably damage your new relucter..And youll be pissed if youve come this far.
When youve finished that as long as you have done the plate and the timing relativly correct it should fire up with no problems.
If it the timings a little out dont worry as the ecu will compensate if it needs retarding or advancing..
hi mate I am very new to this site and found your post about the vz engine into rodeo and will be trying it myself soon.i just wanted to know as I think a lot of people would if all the block,engine mount and crank bolt pattern are the same or do you have to get a manual vz engine to fit a manual rodeo.i have a 2006 4wd which has a slight knock in the bottom end occasionally and would like to put a lower kilometre (and cheeper) vz engine in it .I was the same as you in the fact theres nothing on the net about doing this and rodeo engines seem to be dearer than a whole vz commodore in some cases .

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
I know the rod shop have LS1 2 3 conversion kits for sale..

Mad101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
hi mate I am very new to this site and found your post about the vz engine into rodeo and will be trying it myself soon.i just wanted to know as I think a lot of people would if all the block,engine mount and crank bolt pattern are the same or do you have to get a manual vz engine to fit a manual rodeo.i have a 2006 4wd which has a slight knock in the bottom end occasionally and would like to put a lower kilometre (and cheeper) vz engine in it .I was the same as you in the fact theres nothing on the net about doing this and rodeo engines seem to be dearer than a whole vz commodore in some cases .

Hi did you fit the VZ 3.6 Alloytec in to your 2006 4x4 rodeo. I have just blown my engine and are looking at doing the same.

Mad101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore

Hi
I have just blown the 3.6 in my 2006 rodeo 4x4 and I am looking at doing the same thing. Replacing it with the commodore 3.6. Was the engine mounts
In the same place. Was there any dramas Bolting the gear box housing to the engine etc.
Mad101

Dave gero wa

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
hi
just wondering how you guys have gorn with the verible valve cam solenoids. vz to rodeo 06
do i only have to change/mod cam reluctor and leave varible cam solenoids unpluged?
any info great
thanks
Dave

Browny_09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Series 1 VY Ute
Hey mate do you know if this would work in a 2004 ra rodeo? i know in 2005 they upgraded to the 3.6 alloytec but stayed with the same transmission so would this bolt straight i know you would have to change the mounting for the engine but if i were to take the 3.6 out of a vz could i just use the engine mount from it and modify them a bit?

ra ve

Reaction score
Members Ride
ra ve
Have just put motor from commodore into ra rodeo starts & runs but wont rev until cps sensor fault is reset
then it redlines no problem
Will be trying cam mod next week would love more pictures of mod if available
Cheers ra ve

ra ve

Reaction score
Members Ride
ra ve
Did mod today running like a champion now
Thanks for information shared on site
Cheers ra ve

Spud4302

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy v6
Hi
I have just blown the 3.6 in my 2006 rodeo 4x4 and I am looking at doing the same thing. Replacing it with the commodore 3.6. Was the engine mounts
In the same place. Was there any dramas Bolting the gear box housing to the engine etc.
Mad101
Wondering if this has been answered as interested