Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 3.6L Alloytec - Leaking oil from timing cover seal and rocker cover seals

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline Wagon, VZ Executive Wagon
Got some oil coming out of the rocker cover seals and timing cover seal.

Is there any correlation between the timing cover seal leak and the stretched timing chain issue? or probably just needs a new seal?

No evidence to suggest there is anything wrong with the timing chain - what are the symptoms of that on the Alloytec??

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
No correlation, the rocker cover gasket is a normal service item in any car. More likely that the oil from the rocker cover is just covering everything else rather than the timing cover leaking.

Symptoms for the timing chain are it being really noisy - you can hear the chain, usually the car throws an error and the check engine light comes on before this or most other symptoms, in addition to loss of power sometimes if it's really bad.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Crank seal AKA timing cover seal is a common spot to leak. So it's likely leaking from there as well. It should be fairly quick to replace the crank seal.

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the info

If I am going to have the timing cover off, is it worth replace the chain whilst there?

It's done 216,000km - not sure if chain been replaced previously. No signs of any trouble with it

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I could be wrong but you shouldn't have to take the timing cover off just the balancer and fans.

H

harrop.senator

Thanks for the info

If I am going to have the timing cover off, is it worth replace the chain whilst there?

It's done 216,000km - not sure if chain been replaced previously. No signs of any trouble with it

I would say yes , but it's also the reason my timing cover still leaks most the job of doing the chains is getting to the chains.

I don't know anyone I like enough to do them in car if I'm honest. If someone rang me and said Hayden I have a quad cam on the stand. Can you please come swap the chains and time it for me and I'll do the rest?

My response would be is there ciders in the fridge ?

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would say yes , but it's also the reason my timing cover still leaks most the job of doing the chains is getting to the chains.

I don't know anyone I like enough to do them in car if I'm honest. If someone rang me and said Hayden I have a quad cam on the stand. Can you please come swap the chains and time it for me and I'll do the rest?

My response would be is there ciders in the fridge ?

Hi mate - do you know anyone in Perth that would be up for the job? assume a lot of places won't be keen

Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute