Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 3.6L Alloytec - Leaking oil from timing cover seal and rocker cover seals

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
yeah it's timing cover seal that is leaking (or so it would appear...)

You mean the seal behind the balancer? If yes then that should be fairly quick and straightforward. I would have thought the gasket is not a common place to leak?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
you mean not do anything about the leak until the chain throws a code?
Yep, because chains are a big job, compared to a crank seal.

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline Wagon, VZ Executive Wagon
Yep, because chains are a big job, compared to a crank seal.

Yeah OK I see what you mean

I had it in at a RAC Service Centre who said oil appeared to be leaking from rocker cover seals and timing cover seals (don't know more than that)

They want $590 to remove rocker cover seals and timing cover seal to have a look and then $$ on top of that to repair as required

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If they said TC seal I'd think they meant crank seal not the gasket. That quote is not enough to even cover chains so I'd say they likely meant the seal behind the balancer. Shop around for a better price.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Crank seal on an earlier V6 and LS is about a 1hr job. I would think on an Alloy it shouldn't be much more than that.

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline Wagon, VZ Executive Wagon
Yeah that's just the quote to take everything off to have a look - not actually fix it

They also said if the chain has stretched it might have done damage and a new engine would be required.... must think I came down in the last rain shower?!

H

harrop.senator

Yeah OK I see what you mean

I had it in at a RAC Service Centre who said oil appeared to be leaking from rocker cover seals and timing cover seals (don't know more than that)

They want $590 to remove rocker cover seals and timing cover seal to have a look and then $$ on top of that to repair as required

I'd say that's to pull the timing cover off. If it's $590 to do a crank seal and the valve cover seals there asking a bit much.

I would be quoting new plugs and coils as you're at the KMs they start to fail and while you're there...

I'm trying to think of who I know that would want to do it. Most my mates are all performance mechanics.

There's a guy in Wanneroo that does timing chain replacement drive in drive out warranted and insured for $1200 advertised on gumtree. I'd give him a message.

H

harrop.senator

Yeah that's just the quote to take everything off to have a look - not actually fix it

They also said if the chain has stretched it might have done damage and a new engine would be required.... must think I came down in the last rain shower?!

Stretch can cause engine damage but you'd have a light on before it did.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Probably covering their arses more than anything.