Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 3.6L Alloytec Rocker / Valve Cover Gasket Advice

inmaniac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore 3.6
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

So my VZ has quite the oil leak from the rocker covers. I've done this job before on a completely different car (Nissan Skyline) but the VZ is quite different. I've heard a range of things about this job on the VZ, including the fact that you have to "pull half the motor apart" to tackle the job, and I was wondering if there was any truth to this?

Looking for general advice or things to look out for, and hoping someone could address the following:

- I have inlet manifold gaskets and a rocker cover gasket kit that includes the seals around spark plugs etc. Am I missing anything else?
- How much time would this job usually take?
- Are any special tools required?

Looking at the motor there's a few things to disconnect, but it doesn't look too tricky. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Josh.

inmaniac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore 3.6
82 views and no replies. Can anyone give me some advice?

Attempting to tackle this weekend, wish me luck! >.<

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
not a hard job, just make sure you get all the bolts, holding down the pleanm intake ,and be carful removeing the plactic hoses, off the back thay break easy. you should change the plugs while you have it apart

inmaniac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore 3.6
Ok guys so I had a crack at this with a mate and for the record it took me about 6hrs. Take away the ****-talking time and you'd probably do it in 4, less if you knew wtf you were doing haha.

Here's some pics:

b1d4a24d7a.jpg

a8431d8a79.jpg

ebb246628a.jpg

A bit of a sludge problem, cleaned up the larger greasy stuff, but generally left most of it. Truth be told, I don't have the time to do it "properly", and therefore I don't want to upset and debris that can get caught in galleries or valves etc. I don't have the time or inclination to do a full report or how-to, but here's some pointers for people looking for similar information:

- I bought an ebay gasket kit that included screw grommets and the spark plug well seals (a MUST have, especially as that's where my leaks were) for $65. My way also required the upper intake manifold gaskets, which I got both for $32 on ebay. Besides this you'll need a small amount of RTV gasket goo (literally for 2 little spots, could be missed maybe?)

- I originally intended to take the manifold off as a single assembly, and I did, but then I realized 2 things: First, I really didn't want to disconnect the fuel line to the lower part of the manifold (you CAN move it around without disconnecting, it's just annoying) and secondly, probably most importantly, I found it a real pain to put back in a couple of the manifold bolts. Maybe just me, but because they're under the manifold right at the back, it was a real pain. So, for me, it was easier to just pull the manifold into 2 pieces for re-assembly, especially since I already had the gaskets. You CAN get away with taking the manifold off in a single piece and you CAN do it without removing the fuel line.

- Have a mate with you. I probably could have done this alone but it would have been a whole lot harder, especially when moving and positioning the manifold with some hoses/fuel lines attached.

- I mentioned you don't have to remove the fuel lines, but additionally, you do NOT have to remove the heater lines. Some manuals suggest you do.

- Pay attention to where your hoses run. On re-assembly, I missed a vacuum line that goes from near the throttle body to somewhere near the back-passenger side of the manifold. This resulted in me having to almost take the manifold off again :/ Best bet is to take a picture of your engine before you start, which I forgot to do!

- Take this opportunity (as gazza suggested above) to do your plugs at the same time, as it would be pretty annoying to get to them on their own. $55 for a set on ebay.

I don't know what else to add. In summary, the job wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, just a little daunting with all the lines running everywhere (I'm used to older engines). I'm no mechanic, so don't think you have to be to give this a whirl. Have a good set of sockets, a razor blade or scraper for old gasket/goo, some degreaser and you'll be fine. Just follow logic when pulling stuff off the manifold and removing it, after that, it's easy.

Cheers, Josh.

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
Hi Inmaniac, was it just the 2 bolts holding the inlet on?

Good tips!

tro

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
pretty sluggy moter there mate better do some thing about that, or you will be up for timeing chains

Macca852

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore
Ok guys so I had a crack at this with a mate and for the record it took me about 6hrs. Take away the ****-talking time and you'd probably do it in 4, less if you knew wtf you were doing haha.

Here's some pics:

b1d4a24d7a.jpg

a8431d8a79.jpg

ebb246628a.jpg

A bit of a sludge problem, cleaned up the larger greasy stuff, but generally left most of it. Truth be told, I don't have the time to do it "properly", and therefore I don't want to upset and debris that can get caught in galleries or valves etc. I don't have the time or inclination to do a full report or how-to, but here's some pointers for people looking for similar information:

- I bought an ebay gasket kit that included screw grommets and the spark plug well seals (a MUST have, especially as that's where my leaks were) for $65. My way also required the upper intake manifold gaskets, which I got both for $32 on ebay. Besides this you'll need a small amount of RTV gasket goo (literally for 2 little spots, could be missed maybe?)

- I originally intended to take the manifold off as a single assembly, and I did, but then I realized 2 things: First, I really didn't want to disconnect the fuel line to the lower part of the manifold (you CAN move it around without disconnecting, it's just annoying) and secondly, probably most importantly, I found it a real pain to put back in a couple of the manifold bolts. Maybe just me, but because they're under the manifold right at the back, it was a real pain. So, for me, it was easier to just pull the manifold into 2 pieces for re-assembly, especially since I already had the gaskets. You CAN get away with taking the manifold off in a single piece and you CAN do it without removing the fuel line.

- Have a mate with you. I probably could have done this alone but it would have been a whole lot harder, especially when moving and positioning the manifold with some hoses/fuel lines attached.

- I mentioned you don't have to remove the fuel lines, but additionally, you do NOT have to remove the heater lines. Some manuals suggest you do.

- Pay attention to where your hoses run. On re-assembly, I missed a vacuum line that goes from near the throttle body to somewhere near the back-passenger side of the manifold. This resulted in me having to almost take the manifold off again :/ Best bet is to take a picture of your engine before you start, which I forgot to do!

- Take this opportunity (as gazza suggested above) to do your plugs at the same time, as it would be pretty annoying to get to them on their own. $55 for a set on ebay.

I don't know what else to add. In summary, the job wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, just a little daunting with all the lines running everywhere (I'm used to older engines). I'm no mechanic, so don't think you have to be to give this a whirl. Have a good set of sockets, a razor blade or scraper for old gasket/goo, some degreaser and you'll be fine. Just follow logic when pulling stuff off the manifold and removing it, after that, it's easy.

Cheers, Josh.
Hey mate how did you get the case for the wiring off the rocker cover?

goldvn05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Calais V V6 LY7
Hi all,
am also replacing the Alloytec rocker cover gasket kit.

Rocker covers have been removed.
Ho do you remove the old spark plug well seals ??

any help be appreciated
Cheers

goldvn05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE Calais V V6 LY7
ok no worries worked it out. use pry bar or long nose plyers and pry them out as they fly across the room.

if it helps others here is a good video on the exact rocker gasket replacement proccedure and tips for Alloytec