Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 3.6L Alloytech engine vibration

PrincessPet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore V6 Alloytec
OMG where do I start? So the VZ ute had an oil leak, I traced it to the timing cover and since it was such a big job I booked it in at our mechanic to replace. When I got there, the water pump **** itself so that needed replacing as after I degreased the engine bay, it was spewing coolant out. So half way through, he's like the seal from the waterpump and the engine bay is about to fail so needed to do that to. 10 days later I picked up the car and went straight back as it was running rough as ****. Turns out they only replaced the pleminum gaskets, not the manifold gasket like he said he would. Replaced manifold gasket and yay, engine now has compression but..... There is this really fucked up wierd vibration coming from the left side of the engine bay only when the car is in motion. Like, can't be the normal culprits as it runs like a kitten at idle..... So he's now had it for another 10 ******* days and I don't even think he's looked at it so I'm planning on picking it up and having a look myself. Any ideas?

06 VZ Commodore Ute, 3.6lt Alloytec 4sp Auto

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Quote] When I got there, the water pump **** itself so that needed replacing as after I degreased the engine bay, it was spewing coolant out. So half way through, he's like the seal from the waterpump and the engine bay is about to fail so needed to do that to.

You don't replace the seal in the water pump you replace the water pump??
Also can you explain the engine bay fail ??
And, what seal was done, the timing cover seal or the harmonic balancer seal ??

Now to the vibration, check if the serpentine belt is not fitted correctly ??
May be belt tensioner, air con compressor, or pully bearings.

Assuming the left side of the engine is passenger side.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’m going to guess the vibration is the heat shields near the exhaust under the car.

PrincessPet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore V6 Alloytec
She might of meant the water pump gasket?
Ok, so he said when he removed the water pump to replace it the seal between the pump and block was failing so it needed doing, it was more just a delay issue as the cost of the seal was insignificant.

PrincessPet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore V6 Alloytec
Quote] You don't replace the seal in the water pump you replace the water pump??

Water pump was replaced, seal from pump to block was the one I referenced.

Quote] Also can you explain the engine bay fail ??

Not sure what you mean?

Quote] And, what seal was done, the timing cover seal or the harmonic balancer seal ??

Timing cover seal.

Quote] Now to the vibration, check if the serpentine belt is not fitted correctly ??

Brand new belt and is fitted correctly.

Quote] May be belt tensioner, air con compressor, or pully bearings.

That's the problem, it may be a lot of things but I can't just keep replacing bits hoping i works. He was adamant the day I went in there it was the power steering pump so another $320 later, still has the vibration.

Quote]
Assuming the left side of the engine is passenger side.

Yes, passenger side.

PrincessPet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore V6 Alloytec
I’m going to guess the vibration is the heat shields near the exhaust under the car.
I will check that as soon as the sun is up.... it's a pretty strong vibration and not a rattle though but at this point, I'll check anything.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Ok, so he said when he removed the water pump to replace it the seal between the pump and block was failing so it needed doing, it was more just a delay issue as the cost of the seal was insignificant.

Every water pump I have purchased came with the seal/gasket in the box so I am sure he might be taking a lend of you with that one, and no one in their right mind would replace the water pump without replacing the gasket/seal to the block.
So if he has charged extra for the seal/gasket don't go back.