Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 4sp Auto Trans Issue - Clarification

azdorollings

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Exec
Hi All,

i have been trawling through the threads regarding this issue and wanted some clarficiation if i can.

I have a VZ Commodore Exec Sedan - 4sp Auto - 112,000kms - runs a dream except for an auto transmission thud/jerk from 1st - 2nd gear on a cold start. After couple kms of driving it goes away. has been there since about 90,000kms with the really cold mornings can throw you back in seat a little

Today I went to the effort not starting, towing around to auto trans mechanic, getting him to cold start and drive (i could have left overnight apart from my hours of work are 3-11pm) - his response was that it is worse he felt but related to the belt inside trans not getting enough fluid when cold and most like rebuild with $$$. better to just put up with it.

today I unplug the battery in an attempt to reset the computer?? but the same thud is still there no difference. My mechanic serviced the auto at 105,000kms with new gasket and better trans oil. levels are fine.

I do no thrash or drive the vehicle hard, with a mixture of city & country driving.

reading through this forum I have seen mention solenoid/pressure switches?? as there any more upto date or latest information for me to go by or would you recommend taking it somewhere else for a second opinion??

Appreciate your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
Sorry to say mate, i think that's a rebuild.

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
See if you can find a shop that rebuilds auto's, ask them what they think it is, a local mechanic wouldn't come across that specific problem every day.

vex

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s2
Mate, I've had the same issue with my thunder. It was driving me mad as i took it back under warranty at least 8 times be4 they went for the rebuild. After the rebuild it was fine for a while but the ####as back. I'm thinking I'm going to try and replace the tps. And most people say that changing the solenoid will fix it but it doesnt. Try replacing the tps first and then look at a rebuild, I'm opting for a manual conversion this time.

Phyco

Alloytec and Proud
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ Acclaim Sedan
I always considered the clunk to be 'normal', it came and went but I knew it was always there. However it has not come back since I had the car tuned (about 6 months ago), which makes me think it is a computer related issue.

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
I would get a second opinion. If they say rebuild also. Get a s/h one from the wreckers.

azdorollings

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Exec
Thanks for your responses. There is another auto trans mechanic been recommended to me so booked in later this week. Cheers

vex

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx s2
let me know how u go man.