Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz 5.7 to l98 conversion

Vz SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SSV Redline
I have a vz 5.7 and I'm looking at putting a l98 6.0 L in it I was wondering what was required to do this I know you have to change the reluctor wheel to a 24 tooth but how do you do that and what else is required

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Reluctor wheel is on the crankshaft so it would need to be removed to get to it, there are also adapter boxes that you can install which makes it easier

Also being VZ you would need a throttle body adapter harness from torquerush.com - Adaptor looms: Map, knock, Injector and you'll need to keep your LS1 Sump

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
Just curious mate why do you want to put a 6 litre in you VZ SS is the LS1 stuffed ????

Vz SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SSV Redline
Just curious mate why do you want to put a 6 litre in you VZ SS is the LS1 stuffed ????

The ls1 still runs great but I want to do heads cam and supercharger so I though it would be better to start with a new engine if the old one had less k's I would consider using it but I feel 160,000 is a bit to much to run a supercharger

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Personally I think you would be better off spending your l98 money on some forged internals for your ls1 so you know it will be fine and you can boost it more. If your motor has been serviced regularly and not totally thrashed it should be alright.

Vz SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SSV Redline
I was thinking a stroker but for half the price I can have a brand new engine

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
If you stroke it or rebuild it with forged internals you have a stronger base to work with. How much does an l98 cost? Also have you looked at a price for an ls3? That could be cool.

Vz SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SSV Redline
l98 with head and cam brand new from gm motorsport is 10,990 or ls3 is 12,990
i was thinking l98 because i dont want too much power as it is still a street car

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Hmm seems to me that you still need to sort out exactly what you want, as you don't want a too powerful street car but still want a blower, cam and headwork.

I'd say buy a blower for your LS1, get used to the power than start upgrading internals and boost

Vz SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SSV Redline
That's why I want a blower and only a small cam so it's still driveable in the wet and can have heaps in the dry