Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 5L40E how much???

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I read somewhere that the 4L60 was originally designed as a truck transmission, and that Holden using them in the Commodores is the only widespread use of them in passenger vehicles.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I read somewhere that the 4L60 was originally designed as a truck transmission, and that Holden using them in the Commodores is the only widespread use of them in passenger vehicles.

Well light trucks anyway. Stuff like the rental trucks for moving house and the like.

They are very durable transmission and can usually take a heap of punishment.

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Glad to know my Executive's tranny is durable and "originally designed as a truck transmission" :boxing: Was worried when I read about the SV6's tranny problems.

I'm just a normal daily commuter, very easy and gentle with my sweet-heart heehee :yeah:

Guess she'll last forever :thumbsup:

Tim_in_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 SX6 Adventra
Do we all know the 5L40E is a BMW gearbox and the service kit is cheaper when purchased thru a BMW dealership than a GM one, and its complete. Holden insist on selling this kit minus the pan gasket for some reason, not really a kit is it??

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Do we all know the 5L40E is a BMW gearbox

Yes that's right. What I want to know is why it wasn't designed to handle as much torque as the 4l60E, 340 Nm on an SV6 as compared to 480 Nm on an Executive. I mean when someone buys a sports car, they'll want to unleash it's potential: race it, pedal to the metal, burn-outs, donuts etc.

So why didn't Holden fit a transmission that could handle all that punishment? We know the SV6 puts out a max torque of 340 Nm, so it's common to see them getting transmission overhauls :boohoo:

Tim_in_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 SX6 Adventra
.....its all about the dealership and money earned from parts sales. We are the fools that continuously think we are getting value for money....:hit: