Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 6.0L aftermarket ECU

Sprigsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder 6.0 A4
Hi everyone,

Just a newbie here so go easy if I have overlooked a question most probably already covered.
Looking at options for aftermarket ECU's to install into my VZ, wanting to keep the dash fully functional. Just wondering if anyone has attempted, looked into or traveled this path?
What inputs/outputs are required to keep the remainder of the dash and BCM relatively happy?
From what I can work out I will need tach, vehicle speed, coolant temp, oil pressure.
Fuel level? Or is that through BCM.
Main aim is to have more flexibility and better control over nitrous and fueling than HPT

Cheers

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You'd be far better off looking for some kind of external controller for the nitrous rather than replacing the ECU, especially if it's automatic or you street it regularly. It also means you won't have to get the car rewired or the loom modified. Basically any aftermarket ECU worth getting doesn't have the ability to control the gearbox electronically, and a lot of cold start ability is lost.

What's limiting you with fueling functionality?

Last edited:

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Lots of fast cars running stock PCM's.

Sprigsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder 6.0 A4
Nothing is really limiting me at the moment, only that technology has come a long way since 2006.
External nitrous controller would be an option, the 4L65 wouldn't necessarily stay... or survive.
As far as fuel flexibility I have heard of people trying to trick the ecu into the alcohol map in order to run dry shot nitrous but haven't seen anything concrete come of it?
Just reading through the new offerings from Holley in the Terminator X and similar, fair bit of sales hype but if they do everything they say they could be an option?
Or like you say could be a complete waste of time, just curious.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the stock LS ecu has much more flexibility then most think, u can base fuel/timing on IAT temps so NOS and fueling/spark can be adjusted to suit if u have the sensor after the nos spray and since its an adjustment just based on temp when its all normal temps fueling/spark is all normal, i havnt done any myself but i know alot of US guys do it

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Nothing is really limiting me at the moment, only that technology has come a long way since 2006.
As far as fuel flexibility I have heard of people trying to trick the ecu into the alcohol map in order to run dry shot nitrous but haven't seen anything concrete come of it?

Technology advancement for ECUs is only a thing if there's a specific feature you need like dual feed injectors, different triggering systems, more outputs and drivers, inbuilt oscilloscopes, better data logging, more tables, antilag, fly by wire, flex sensors blah blah blah... Or if the stock ECU doesn't have the ability to be remapped appropriately.

Outside of that there's nothing you'll really gain from changing if you don't need to. A plug in PowerFC (for example) from 15 years ago will still run a lot of builds that don't require those features just as well as a current Adaptronic or Haltech (with the exception of table resolutions) while still retaining a lot of factory ECU features. A lot will also depend on tune.

Not saying you shouldn't look at your options but you should base your decisions on need and desired outcome. Also remember that a lot of LS tuners bread and butter for LS tuning is HP Tuners with a Delphi. Outside of that you should probably approach some tuners directly to actually guage what your options are and what they can do with Nos, and look for other builds that have what you want and see what they've done.

Last edited: