Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 6L 6spd gearbox noises

VZGEN4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER
Hey all,

Absolutely loving the new thunder ute. Certainly blows my old 5 litre VS into the weeds!

Just wondering if any of you guys with the 6spd man had or have any gravelly/weird vibration noises coming from the gearbox/engine area when in say 2nd gear going around 20kmh and then easing on the throttle?

Also occasionally when in 1st or 2nd slowing down and putting foot on the clutch makes a a couple of weird clunking noises! YUK!

Spoke to the dealer and they said a few customers had the same complaint but "the sounds should go away by the 3000 service" Something to do with the gearbox being run in??

Is this true? Any ideas anyone

Cheers!!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
My suggestion is before you get too comfortable go out and spend $1500 ona tetxralia clutch. The standard clutches ina ll holdens are crap, it will save you alot of headaches in the long run.

As for your noise, the same was said to one of the guys i work with, he has done 1100km's and its noisy as hell. Needless to say he now has a textralia in and it lost alot of the noise.

VZGEN4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER
So from what I've said it sounds like a clutch problem?

The car is brand new... I aint spending $1500 on a new clutch... If it's stuffed I aint paying for nothin!

SLugg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6.2 T6060 Sting Red Trutrac harrop 500hp
the 6.0ltr has the ls2 heavy duty clutch in it no need to replace , i think hes talking about the ls1 clutch , mine has some clunking if you jerk the clutch a bit just some drive train slack I reckon , but the only noise I can hear from the trans in low gear is some engine noise if you try to move off from a slow speed , its worse on ULP than it is on PULP and its almost gone on 98
mine is going in for its 3000K first service tommorrow and Im changing to Torqo Synthetic Gearbox oil and engine oil with a Purilator filter.

VZGEN4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER
hey slugg,

Good to hear from a fellow 6L man. Sounds similar to mine. But it's quite loud especially in 2nd gear. It does it in 1st also but nothing to major, just have to keep the revs up high.

I think I'll take it in if it gets any worse.

I bet you're lovin the new beast! I'm always looking for a reason to go driving!

I'll post some pictures soon. Getting it lowered this weekend hopefully.

SLugg

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah its gr8 my missus only has to mention shop or drive and im in the car idling w8ing for her to catch up...lol :w00t:
I do have a noise when slowing down in gear sounds like a metalic tinkle type noise gos away when I get slow enough , maybe the thrust bearing ?
Im getting them to check it out at 1st service
Ive been pricing headers from sureflow to replace std ones but I am keeping the std exhaust , sureflow have ones that let you keep the std cat position then its off for a tune up hopefully round 250KWARW :driving:

Daza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I think you will find these have the same manual gearbox as the Gen 3.

The boxes seem to have quite a bit or roll over noise and are quite noisy when the input RPM is under 1200 rpm. I have read in an extract from a Tremec manual that the gear train doesn't get adequate lubrication if they are used with less than 1200rpm input speed. I have noticed this in mine where I have tried to just idle along at 70-75 kmh in 6th, it becomes quite stiff on the next couple of changes.

VZGEN4 get the speed up a little more for the first change and it should be a lot quieter. I wouldn't worry about the clutch as it is probably the motor trying to idle at 1000 when the speed is over 15-20kmh, it will clunk if the revs are to low for the road speed as it will rev up once unloaded.

Cheers
Daza

BLACKVZSV8

300 rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 M6
The 6 spds are renowned for being notchy clunky and noisy. Unless it actually breaks I wouldnt worry about it ;)

SLugg

Reaction score
Members Ride
just had the car serviced (3000k) changed engine oil (torqo 10w30) also installed a Purilator Oil filter (same filter spec as a fuel filter)
changed gearbox oil (torqo Synthetic) engine feels sweeter and smoother
and gearbox shifts have improved especially when standing still and putting into 1st gear or reverse , so guess whose one happy chap......ME

PS mine idles at 750 in neutral or in gear

VZGEN4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER
Thanks for the info guys.

I'll add a little more to my concerns... today after work I jumped into the beast and try to put into 1st and I couldn't! Had a few goes at it then had to roll it forward to get it in... Got home... backed it into the shed went to put into 1st and no go! couldn't even get in second rolled it forward again about 1ft... I'm assuming this happened because I was reversing?

Slugg hows the fuel economy now with 3000 on the clock? I do 130kms a day, 20kms of which is city then the rest highway. Giving it a few squirts and my last tank was around 13.5 - 14l/100kms... changing the gears randomly while driving at 100km/h (trying to avoid constant rpm) got 650kms on the ODO.