Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ accessory wiring

Dover1123

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ S Ute
Morning all.
Am in the process of installing a UHF radio and some other electrical goodies into my ute.

Just wondering the best place to get power? I've looked into using the cigarette lighter plug, but I'm looking at putting in about 4 or 5 things that need power (UHF, Scanner, laptop, GPS, etc).

How many things can you run off the cigarette lighter before you overload it?

Are there any other places I can hardwire some of this stuff in?

Cheers

Ben

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
i would think its better hardwiring it from the battery and link it to the accessories some how so it would work like a factory fit out, thats what i was thinking

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
most ciggy lighters are the 10-20 amp mark. best of just getting power from the battery

Road_Pilot

Road_Pilot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hard Wire is best

Dover,

Operating my VZ wagon as a "Pilot Vehicle" I have several add-ons wired in and what we have done is come direct of the battery to a distribution point in the area below the radio (ash try area). From this point I have then run power to the six (6) switch's located on a custom panel located in that area for my various warning lights. Also from this point to the UHF unit (spilt system) where the base is located under the center consol and the operating face is located across the area in front of the window switch's. In addition to this I have enough power from this supply to install two (2) outlets for the handheld spot light and GPS system which is going in next week.

I have installed a fuse link on the lead from the battery and also separate fuse on each unit supply from the distribution panel.

I did post a photo of the switch panel some time back under a heading of mobile phones.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Dover1123

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ S Ute
Would it be ok to use a driving light relay connected directly from the battery and using a current from the cigarette lighter as the exciter?

That would give me two +ve terminals that could be split in half to power 4 accessories.

Now just need to find a place to hide all this wiring...

zeb00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Would it be ok to use a driving light relay connected directly from the battery and using a current from the cigarette lighter as the exciter?

That would give me two +ve terminals that could be split in half to power 4 accessories.

Now just need to find a place to hide all this wiring...

i would use the mobile phone connector for the exciter. the yellow wire is the accessory power. FYI red is permanent power and black is ground (you probibly could have guessed that) and pink is radio mute which amy be handy for your UHF install