Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Acclaim 500RPM Idle

Liam96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
Hi Guys,

New to forum. Glad to be here.

I am looking at selling my VZ Acclaim but wanted to check a few things before sale. When I bought the car a couple of months ago I noticed it idled really low and shook the car. I find myself rocking in my seat gently at idle or when parked at a light, it sits juuuust slightly above 500, not quite 550 though.

When I turn car on it sounds ok, and sits at about 1000RPM for 30 seconds and once warmed up it slowly drops to 500 (my old man says automatic choke is on at 1000, hence drop to 500 after it is off).

He didn't seem too concerned but 500 seemed quite low to me - any ideas? Only other things I would class as 'problems' is it seems to have poor fuel economy, but computer says I am getting 9.5L/100 which doesn't seem bad, maybe I'm just not used to driving a V6 yet , and occasionally when I put my foot on the accelerator I am sure i hear a sharp intake of air, similar to the sound of an air compressor.

Basically I know nothing about cars or how to check any issues but I want to learn myself and not take it to a shop just yet, so any information please dumb it down for me!

Guy is viewing it on Monday so would love to check it out before then... thanks in advance.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Clean the throttle body and MAF....

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
if you know nothing about cars just sell it as you were going to do let the next person take care of it

Liam96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
if you know nothing about cars just sell it as you were going to do let the next person take care of it
I have taken care of it up until now, just wanting to touch up little things if it's a quick fix so this doesn't really help me.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Loosen the clamp holding the big plastic pipe to the front of the throttle body and look at the throttle. If it's black it needs cleaning. Take a photo and post it here. Also check the air filter is reasonably clean.

Liam96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
Loosen the clamp holding the big plastic pipe to the front of the throttle body and look at the throttle. If it's black it needs cleaning. Take a photo and post it here. Also check the air filter is reasonably clean.
Great thank you I will try to do this today :)

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
There are videos for cleaning maf and throttle body just google it ex vz cleaning maf or vz cleaning throttle body ...its pretty simple if your a cheap tight ass like me buy contact cleaner instead of maf cleaner its 20 bucks xheaper and basicly the same thing

Liam96

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
There are videos for cleaning maf and throttle body just google it ex vz cleaning maf or vz cleaning throttle body ...its pretty simple if your a cheap tight ass like me buy contact cleaner instead of maf cleaner its 20 bucks xheaper and basicly the same thing
Struggling to find a maf or throttle body clean for VZ specifically.. but I should be able to manage.
Just checked air filter. Looks reasonably dirty.
Thanks for help.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
I cant find any either proberly should familiarise yourself with what the maf and throttle body look like on your car and where there located and figure it out from there cleaning the maf is easy if you look inside it there are filaments in the middle you pretty much spray everywhere inside especialy those filaments ...and the throttle body once you pull off all the intake piping going to the air box and exposed the throttle body you pull the throttle cable so the butterfly plate open inside and then you spray all around and inside with throttle body cleaner ...maf is usualy in the middle of the intake piping between airbox and throttle body by the way so it be something you do whhile doing your throttle body