Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Adventra SX6/CX6

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
KE Laser Ghia 1.6 Carbie M5
Yeah the CX6 is based on the Berlina. That salesman said it's based on the Acclaim which is bullshit. The SX6 is half-half Executive/Acclaim.

F

Fredo

Aventra

Y2KGoofball,
You wouldn't happen to be from SA would you - and the first dealer you went to was Metro Holden on Main North Rd, Adelaide???

I went there last weekend when I saw a new LX6 on a stand there. Got to have a real good look at underneath as the back end was sitting up quite high on the stand. Very nice!!!

Then one of the sales guys comes out. I wasn't looking to buy new but would prefer the V6 option as it comes with a few more options like the 5 speed trans and all the Hill Decent Control plus other garb. The salesperson then shows me over 2004 (not even 12 months old) LX8 over in the corner. My eyes light up - but the V8 engine is putting me off considering I do alot of beach type stuff and the V8 would chew thru the juice.

Anyway, I sit in, start it up and have a good look around. The car had done 28K - as I said the car was just under 12 months old. Tyres looked reasonably good and the car was very clean. Mmmm... I wonder why the previous owner is selling, so I grab the details, leave my number with the sales guy and walk away with a couple of Holden glasses (some promo they were doing on the day).

A couple of days later I ring the previous owner who lives approx 100km north of Adelaide - a country owner you might say. Told him I was ringing to find out about the LX8 he traded and to just see first hand what he thought of it. Well - I wasn't ready for what I was about to hear. Firstly, the tyres looked pretty good because that was the THIRD set of tyres in 28K of driving. Apparently, Holden couldn't fing the cause of the tyre wear but the prev owner said he reckoned a couple of bolts were missing in the front end because every now and then you'd hear a big knock!!! Secondly, the electrics were shot. Lights would stay on for no reason, blinkers would go off once the car was locked - I was hearing a horror story!!!

The prev owner loved the engine, comfort and the car in general which he used to tow a large boat to the river. However, he couldn't handle the constant problems with the car and decided to sell.

I guess it's lucky that I rang the prev owner to get his opinion. The salesman will probably ring me very soon and ask if i've decided to go for a test drive. Mate, he's gonna face the music...

Anyway, I enjoyed this little thread on the Adventra and thought i'd throw in this story from someone who is very keen to purchase a LX6 in the near future. I too am very interested on fuel economy figures and what everyone thinks of their V6 Adventra's. Please post any info on problems encountered etc so the rest of us know what we're getting ourselves in for. There's no way i'm gonna spend my hard earned on a dud - which I nearly did last weekend!!!

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
No I'm not from Adelaide (but I know its a nice place!)

yes I too faced the used car salesman (when they would talk) who were more then happy to show you last years V8, although like you the V8 would be nice it isnt really an option!

Ive heard the originals had problems (VY V8's) which is why their not selling as good thus why they expanded to 3 V6 variations!

Then again it could just be the car ...

I know of a guy who works at Holden and was taking a brand new car (12 k's, yes 12, not 12 000 or 1200 or 120) to have the windows detailed only to have the front brake callipers fall apart literally.

The mechanics had been working on it, dont know why it had supposidly only just come off the truck, and they passed the road test as the owner was expecting his new car and they were already a day behind.

Turns out they forgot to tension the brake calliper bolts, and when the car took off for its window tint down the road the bolts just fell out. Not only did he have only 1 brake (it was a Combo or Barina or one of them small ones with drum rear brakes), it also literally chewed through the disc as it had been rubbing against it!

It had to get towed back to Holden for them to have a second shot at the brakes, all while the new owner is told its still in transit from Melbourne!

Anyway we will be getting ours in a few weeks (financial BS), the only thing ive heard wrong with the VZ sixes is the fuel economy is "high" because the engine is pulling extra weight, then again ive spoken to a few owners of the V6 versions, who have all said with some k's on the dial theyve found the fuel consumption has dropped, still higher then a standard commodore, but my guess is because of the extra weight too!

Please post any info on problems encountered etc so the rest of us know what we're getting ourselves in for.
definately. I tried to to my homework but it failed as I could only find info on the VY V8's :b:

SleeperCX6

Reaction score
Members Ride
CX6 Adventra 05'vz
Yeah hi everyone

Yeah my story isnt to far from some of your guys .

Well ours started when we bought a brand new viva hatch black nifty little runner but was definatly missing that feeling. Anyway couple of months later while i was at work my missus rang me and said ive got us a new car (2nd hand more like it). So when she told me it was a adventra i staright away jumped on the net to see what they looked like. I was pretty impressed as the look nice and bulky n i like that look. So i drove our viva into the shop the next day and 5min later i was driving out with this new car and felt pretty good with everyone looking at me cause i was only 21 at the time and from what ive heard its more of an middle aged group kinda ride. Anyway was very happy with the car until i noticed that it was pulling to the side. So i rang my mechanic and he looked at it and said your car has been in a big crash. WTF!!! couldnt believe what i was hearing. He said the whole front end had been replaced but not properly as to why it was pulling. Then he showed me all the places that where "bogged" up. even showed me a part that was still bent.

After hearing that i took it back to the dealers and said i wanna trade this in. they rememberd me from the other day. They didnt even look at the car and said " umm sorry mate we dont need any adventras atm, well give u a ring when we do" i then said to him "how were u guys able to sell me this car when u knew it had been in an accident and if you had taken it for a drive ud notice the steering was F---d"..........All he said was "u never asked".

So weve now had the car for 6 years now and its ended up growing on us, but heynext time you go to a dealer u have to ask them about the history of the car even if you have to call the previious owners yourself. :))

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Without intensely reading all the above threads I can only make one major suggestion with the adventura's.. Get yourself a top notch additional trans oil cooler mounted up the front.. As the transmission is neatly tucked away behind a bash plate and inturn the hot air from the engine bay passes right around it (ducting) and it will over heat and it will fail from heat stress.. First to go is normally third gear. One could also consider forcing air on both side of the trans possibly from the wheel well area. I've had a friends in the pass that keep to the standard and ended up with near failed/failed. That's my two cents worth ;)