Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Aftermarket Stereo losing memory

GoroUnreal

Reaction score
Website
www.pixelizm.com
Members Ride
VZ Executive Sedan 2005
First time installing a stereo in a car. Tried looking for an adapter to plug my new Sony WX-GT78UI into the existing wiring and found the APP8SP from Aerpro.

After confirming the wires with this guide found it was working perfectly. Only problem is it isn't storing anything.

Obviously it's losing power once i've powered off the car but what i'm wondering is which wire should I be looking for (and if anyone has the APP8SP if they know which wire it should connect to on that adapter).

Thanks for any help, at least it's working but obviously it'd be great if the clock would work heh.

Car: VZ Executive Sedan 2005

VSPantha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS V8
Sounds like the constant 12V line is hooked up to accessories or the ignition power. You'll have to find which pin is supposed to be constant 12V and check it with a multimeter with the key in the off position... it should show power coming thru.
If nothing shows, use a multimeter with the positive lead on what is supposed to be the constant 12V pin and the earth to the chassis. Turn the key turned to acc and ignition, see if you get power readings on either of them. If you get power on that pin when turning the key you've got a wire going to the wrong pin. Obviously check fuses etc aswell (does the head unit have a inline fuse?)... other than that you may have a faulty headunit.
Good luck ;)

GoroUnreal

Reaction score
Website
www.pixelizm.com
Members Ride
VZ Executive Sedan 2005
Sounds like the constant 12V line is hooked up to accessories or the ignition power. You'll have to find which pin is supposed to be constant 12V and check it with a multimeter with the key in the off position... it should show power coming thru.
If nothing shows, use a multimeter with the positive lead on what is supposed to be the constant 12V pin and the earth to the chassis. Turn the key turned to acc and ignition, see if you get power readings on either of them. If you get power on that pin when turning the key you've got a wire going to the wrong pin. Obviously check fuses etc aswell (does the head unit have a inline fuse?)... other than that you may have a faulty headunit.
Good luck ;)

Thanks for the quick response. I figured it'd be a wrong cable somewhere, just wasn't sure which (i've hardly done any electronics heh). I'll have to double check with a multimeter tomorrow, sounds like i'll have to swap some wires around on the adapter.

By the way, looking at the guide it doesn't specifically mention which is the constant 12v, i'm assuming it's the one listed as Battery + ?

Earth – White/Black
Illumination – Brown/White
Accessories – Yellow
Battery + Orange/Black

Thanks again =)