Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz aftermarket Stereo wiring help URGENT car won't start

Zoe91x

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Wagon
Can anyone help? Just wired in kenwood aftermarket head unit to my VZ and now the car won't turn on. I've followed all the wiring diagrams, and I've just checked all the fuses which are fine. Acc turn on but that's it. Battery light comes up on dash when trying to start it. The "constant" I've noticed says orange/white and there is no orange/white in the VZ. There's two black/oranges. Spare wires on the car not used in headunit are blue, brown, yellow/black, brown/white, and green/white. Anyone know what the go is? Urgently need to get her going

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Whoa.
I'd unplug the lot for now. It should still start and run without the stereo plugged in. Mine did.

Zoe91x

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Wagon
Thanks will give it a go. Will still need to sort the wiring out to get the stereo in :(

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you use a patch loom or cut the loom plug and wire in yourself?
Patch looms to suit the deck are so much better and help avoid any damage.
Save heaps of time too.

Zoe91x

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Wagon
Yah thanks but this is the situation at hand so that doesn't really help me now. The previous owner had cut the plug off the end of the stock headunit wires. So they're just Willy nilly wires in there. I just can't figure out which one is supposed to be the constant, as there is no orange and white.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Firstly, check fuses under the dash. Use a test light or a multimeter set to continuity.
Check the fuses under the bonnet. Right side of engine bay.
Then check some of your relative relays under the bonnet. Swap out with known functioning ones like headlamps.

Zoe91x

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Wagon
Thanks for all your help. Turns out I'm an absolute moron. She wasn't in park! Never done that before in my life... but obviously had to move it to get the old headunit out and totally forgot. Maybe I should start a "for dummies" series.... lol!

Zoe91x

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Wagon
Yep. Had the wiring all correct in the first place. Turns out the constant wire (that the yellow goes to) is orange with a black stripe in a VZ crewman.