Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ alloy tech v6 oil filter housing broken

VZ Alzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Holden Adventra cx6
One other thing..when you do get it off (and you will), make sure you check inside the housing thoroughly for any pieces of broken metal that might have fallen inside. Anything sitting at the bottom is at risk of being sucked up through the central filter hole and punched straight into the engine. I personally wouldn't be starting it until this is done.

Being an upside down filter helps, but still a big risk for mine.
Yes I will be absolutely certain to make sure of that thank you for that

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The other alternative is to remove the oil filter housing. It is bolted to the motor. You need to remove a few surrounding things. I glanced across the procedure while looking for something else. Looked easy enough.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Just buy a oil filter claw and a big breaker bar.

The reason it is this tight is because someone over tightened it while the housing is hot. No rattel gun just careless workmanship.

When they're real tight it pays to start the car and get the housing as hot as you can then undo it.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
What if you did that, in OP’s case, with a heat gun, then a can of compressed air to super cool just the top?

VZ Alzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just buy a oil filter claw and a big breaker bar.

The reason it is this tight is because someone over tightened it while the housing is hot. No rattel gun just careless workmanship.

When they're real tight it pays to start the car and get the housing as hot as you can then undo it.
unfortunately it's already broken off I can't start the car now until I fix it and it was hot when it snapped off so that didn't help then anyway. But thanks for trying to suggest a way forward for me.

VZ Alzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
The other alternative is to remove the oil filter housing. It is bolted to the motor. You need to remove a few surrounding things. I glanced across the procedure while looking for something else. Looked easy enough.
I think you are right if you have glanced at the procedure would it be possible for you to post the procedure here with a link or something. Thank you for trying to help.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Just for the hell of it I just popped the VE bonnet, lifted the plastic cover and with my spanner gave mine a left hand turn then a right hand turn to gently nip it back up.
All working perfectly.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
unfortunately it's already broken off I can't start the car now until I fix it and it was hot when it snapped off so that didn't help then anyway. But thanks for trying to suggest a way forward for me.

@shane_3800 gave you some good advice, the oil filter claw doesn't need a working hex on the housing to remove it...
Worth a try if you cant work out how to remove the whole assembly.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
@shane_3800 gave you some good advice, the oil filter claw doesn't need a working hex on the housing to remove it...
You could also get a pipe onto that for extra purchase?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

Also if it starts slipping mark some lines with a texta and file in three slots for it to grab onto.
If it's that stuck the claw has a chance of breaking the cap. If that happens it will likely loosen it and it will break in big chunks not small bits or shavings that will get in your engina.

Or you can take the whole thing off which is more work and you need new seals and you might stuff the housing it's self holding it in a vice.

I would try undoing it on the car first.

Get a heat gun for $40 from bunnings heat the **** out of the cap and housing for half an hour then try the claw.