Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ alloy tech v6 oil filter housing broken

VZ Alzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Holden Adventra cx6
Has anyone had this problem and how did they get the cover off? It seems to have been tightened on with a rattle gun. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 1C78C7CC-22DA-4B40-8DEE-B158CFC44CF4.jpeg
1C78C7CC-22DA-4B40-8DEE-B158CFC44CF4.jpeg

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
You should be able to buy a new cap.
You will need to tap the busted one off carefully with chisel or sharp screwdriver and tap tap tap with care.
They only need to be put down as they touch down never screwed down hard.

VZ Alzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Holden Adventra cx6
You should be able to buy a new cap.
You will need to tap the busted one off carefully with chisel or sharp screwdriver and tap tap tap with care.
They only need to be put down as they touch down never screwed down hard.
Thank you gossie yeah I know not to do them up tight it was in a mechanic for it’s last service and they are the ones who massively over tightened it. I was the one who broke it trying to get it off to change my oil filter. Unfortunately the the gentle taping with a chisel and a screwdriver has not loosened it and it’s turning into a total pain in the a..
I guess I put this here also to remind others not to trust your mechanic to do things up gently and most likely it was not the usual mechanic that has done my car in the past? Perhaps it was a young apprentice but it’s now four months later and I don’t have any proof of who the idiot is that done it up this tight or perhaps whoever did it forgot to put oil or lubricant onto the o ring either way it’s a terrible situation I am now in.
I normally just change the oil and filter myself, but because I was going on a long trip I thought it wise to get a full service and safety check at my local mechanic but then this happened?? What a hassle! What do I do now? Has anyone had the problem where the tapping to loosen it doesn’t work? What suggestions can I try now.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
deleted

Last edited:

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
If as above fail, then file a slot on the side several time and get the big screwdriver into that and tap into each slot.
You just need to break the seal holding it.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Drill a hole both sides and poke a lever through there, like a long screwdriver or bit of rebar? Or use a short lever and tap at it? Cut a slot across it with an angle grinder and use a bit of steel bar?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
One other thing..when you do get it off (and you will), make sure you check inside the housing thoroughly for any pieces of broken metal that might have fallen inside. Anything sitting at the bottom is at risk of being sucked up through the central filter hole and punched straight into the engine. I personally wouldn't be starting it until this is done.

Being an upside down filter helps, but still a big risk for mine.