Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Alloytec 175 2 Hole mod

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Hey all,

Im sure this has been mentioned elsewhere BUT I thought I'd say I finally got round to doing the 2 hole mod.

I decided it was time to clean the air box as it had some oil build up across the bottom from the K & N filter being a tad over-oiled.

So while I was out I decided to do the "2 hole mod" which is so popular with V8's. Afterall, all it costs os $20 worth of materials and a few hours.

I followed the instructions here -
http://swingtan.customer.netspace.net.au/2hole.html

At the bottom of the howto he says

It’s much louder, if sound is anything to go by, it’s made a huge difference. But sound isn’t always a good test and I don’t have a dyno handy. The first time I really stuck the boot in though, there was a funny response. The car picked normally until it got to about 3500 RPM, then it was like the engine had VVT. It certainly picked up faster from 3500 to around 5000 and it wasn‘t just the feeling of being pressed back in the seat. I saw the tacho pick up faster from 3500

So I took the alloytec out for a spin. First thing I notice, a growl at light acceleration! Nothing too much but definately different :bow:

Onto the 50kph streets, yeh nothing too much.

Get onto the freeway where we go from 50kph to 110kph. Stick the boot in and my lordy, what he said above! Nothing special at low revs, as is typical with the alloytec, but once the RPMs picked up and the air started being funneled into the engine bay the thing pressed me back into my seat like a turbo had just kicked in, or VVT had just kicked, or something had done something.

On the freeway I tried overtaking. The 4 speed kicks back to 3rd, revs and takes off like theres no tomorrow!

Moral of the story, if you've got a few hours free DO THIS!! I did it in between certain parts of the Indy telecast. Cost me $20 for 1 meter of 90mm diameter plumbing pipe and some sandpaper from bunnings. Just gotta flare the ends of the 2 pieces of pipe and paint them matt black tomorrow for that factory look, but you will definately notice an increase of some sort.

colk

VZ 3.6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 Exec
Nice tutorial!! Will have to do this soon

VT Berlina 07

15.37 @ 147 KPH
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 EF2 Futura I6 Auto
haha, i did the same with mine (ecotec but) cant say theres any diff in power but the noise is louder:D

GOTMYN

Stab it and Steer...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Whippled 5.7, VE SV6, GU Patrol 3.0DI
Funny you say that, I just did my Eco... recently and This week had my usual 0-100 Race with a mate from work in his 190kw VZ SV6, it is normally me jumping him off the line, and then it evens out with me gaining a car length or two on him before we back off to get back to the 80kmh speed limit, but this week, even he pointed out, that when I shifted to second and started to gain speed, I shat all over him... Like 6 car lengths.... Thanks Home made CAI... so it seems!!

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Im definately impressed, as Ive said, and good to read so are others!

I never knew an Alloytec could create a growling noise at low revs and for so cheap. Still sounds awesome taking off from a set of lights :yeah:

doy ou guys run K+N filters or just the standard paper ones? just curious :whistling

=SKB=

Reaction score
Im definately impressed, as Ive said, and good to read so are others!

I never knew an Alloytec could create a growling noise at low revs and for so cheap. Still sounds awesome taking off from a set of lights :yeah:

doy ou guys run K+N filters or just the standard paper ones? just curious :whistling

Now you've had a week of daily driving how's the fuel economy? Any difference? The performance still there?

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Wouldn't it be sucking hot air??

lacy18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I did this mod a few months back and I definitely noticed a difference. Although its not much, for the cost its worth the effort! As for sucking in hot air, if you make the pipes as long as possible then the ends actually sit behind the headlight so it only sucks in cool air not all the air from the engine bay. Here's a couple of pics from when I did mine

Attachments

• DSC03898.jpg
    DSC03898.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 9,662
  • DSC04136edit.jpg
    DSC04136edit.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 8,779

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
did mine the other day and it cost a big fat $0.00 cos i snaked the pipe off a job. it kinda feels a little smoother and it is alot louder but no louder then when you remove the snorkel.

dunno who asked the question RE filter... but mine is a normal paper type

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Can this be done on a VS?? Reason I asked because the air box is smaller. Not sure if this will make a big difference.