Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Alloytec Factory Inlet - Resonance?

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
Adventra; Alloytec 190.

I'm in the process of some minor upgrades; I've installed the Growler CAI, and it's sweet.

I have ordered a replacement inlet tube - a simple aluminium one, but now I have second thoughts.
The factory tube has 2 resonance extensions. I thought they were just for noise control at certain RPM, but now I've been reading about resonance tuning, and I suspect that they may be also increasing the efficiency of the intake by preventing partial wave cancellation on the blowback.

Does anyone have facts or figures on this?
I will probably install the new tube when it arrives and do some tests with Torque, to try to see whether the resonance tubes are worthwhile, but it would be nice to hear from anyone who has experience in this field!

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
UPDATE - got a replacement tube from an Alloytec 175, which doesn't have the resonance tubes.
If performance is better, it's hard to tell. It's certainly a little louder!

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
The other big difference, no resonance tubes meaning you don't have to fart around them trying to clean out the engine bay or so (rather than needing to remove them at times).

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
Yeah, true. And they were blocking the radiator flow a bit - cooling is now marginally better.
I thought they might be absorbing heat & passing it on to the IAT sensor, but the radiant heat from the engine seems to be a bigger factor than anything else.

Also, I found out I need not have worried that they were *helping* performance (standing waves etc) - apparently the resonance wave effect on airflow is negligible that side of the throttle body. Other side of the throttle body, that's a whole different story..