Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ alloytec (how do i change spark plugs)

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Hi guys. Just tried to take off the manifold by leaving the front and rear bolts and it won't move. Tried levering with a plank of wood, but only cracked the plastic cover in the process.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to replace the paper gasket if I don't have to.

Cheers, John.

Did you remove 6 of the 8 bolts?

HRtoV?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec
Upper Intake Manifold Removal

View attachment 155764View attachment 155765

Hi All, I just finished replacing my thermostat and housing, and removed the upper inlet manifold (Plenum in some workshop manuals - Haynes). This left the lower part of the intake manifold attached to the block. Holden use words such as intake manifold assembly - this is both upper and lower manifolds still bolted together as a unit as I see it. I marked the bolts etc as I did the job over 3 days and wanted no mixups down the track.
The images I have attached are after the specific bolts are removed to allow the upper manifold to be removed, exposing the remains of the paper gasket on the lower half of the intake manifold still attached to the block.
OK. I'm no mechanic but have changed over one of these motors and would like to try to clear up the 4 vs 6 bolt question as it still seems to be a problem. I'm replying to this post as the photos help. There are 8 bolts here. The middle 4 go through both the top and bottom sections of the manifold to the block and always need to come out. The rear driver and front passenger hold the top and bottom manifold pieces together (do not remove these to preserve gaskets). The other 2, front driver and rear passenger (labelled "NO" in the second photo) hold the lower part to the block and DO need to come out to lift the manifold assembly of the block. Undoing only 4 bolts will never release the manifold. Hope this helps.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
what a nightmare the vz sounds like have to take the manifold off just to replace the spark plugs and every second post i see electrical problems to do with bcm or abs not to mention oil burning

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
what a nightmare the vz sounds like have to take the manifold off just to replace the spark plugs and every second post i see electrical problems to do with bcm or abs not to mention oil burning
Nah, good car if u have common sense and know a little about cars.
Nothing too hard to fix with the right tools and a little bit of know how.
Plugs are easy as you only remove the plenum chamber NOT the manifold.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The job takes about 5 mins. There are a lot of modern cars with plugs way worse than the VE-VZ to change.

I don't miss changing that back drivers side plug down near the brake booster on VN-VP.

I'd do the VZ any day rather than the often frustrating VN-VY motor.

Every motor has its pros and cons.

Last edited:

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
some **** there, to just change plugs lol, hate to see a cam chain post like it