Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Alloytec manufacturer faults handy hints

NAVZCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6, 1980 WB Tonner
As some of you may be aware the Alloytec 3.6 either the 175 or 190 version have their fair share of problems once you've put a few k's on it. Here are some well know faults that could save you money in the long run and a few handy hints.
The timing chain has a tendency to fail around the 140000k mark. This is a very costly replace and not something i would recommend to your DYI mechanic. Now holden dealers will charge an arm and a leg for this if you vehicle is not under warranty. Easiest way around this start saving some money. I have heard some rumours and they are just rumours that the americans have bought out an aftermarket timing chain for the alloytec which is stronger and more durable. But in the end the timing chain can be a problem so save up some money and take it to a trusted mechanic so you don't get ripped off.
Secondly the ABS unit like to fry itself around the same point in time the timing chain goes. It is a pretty straight forward removal and replace but again something not for your DYI mechanic. The ABS unit is a costly item, up to $1000, but if you look around you can get them cheaper. Or if you really wan't you can drive around without it but the beeping from your cluster makes you want to put your fist through it eventually.
That is all i have and i hope this helps those who reads this
Cheers,
Matt

too jazzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
nice write up, but my dads wl statesman hasnt had any of those problems cars done 380k maybe its just a matter of luck lol

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
I was gonna say my ex police Alloytecs done almost 180 000 without these issues
My dads has done 140 000 same
My mums has done 120 000 same
Ive got a few mates who have done 100 000 + and, umm, same

the only common issues are the water pump leak (bearing shats itself and it spews coolant eveywhere). The Thermostats tend to go, although none of us have had this issue it is a common issue reported on this and other forums, individual ignition coils also go causing a misfire.

The timing chains do rattle on statup until oil pressure builds. Ive only heard of one guy having an actual timing chain issue despite everyone claiming they will shat themselves in a big way.

The ABS issue isnt one Ive heard of, even so you cant legally drive around with the beeping as the vehicle is actually defective, thats why its annoying, designed to make you have it looked at.

Hope this helps

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
166,500kms+ and still going strong, no issues here.

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
158,xxx km and nothing to be concerned about. Very pleased with the car. Only had to replace the water pump, as Torquative said.

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
230,000 k's and have had water pump and oxy sensors, as do most.

no problems with timing chain (other than it being a little noisy at start up). or ABS?

tunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ tonner
As far as im aware, the diffs in the VZ one tonners had to be either fixed or replaced not too long after running off the production line. Mine did, so did 3 other one tonner owners i know. My ignition barrel shat itself (common fault) at 163 000 , and my oil pressure sensor died (also a common fault) at 168 000... but otherwise sweet as.

VZ_commo91

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ commodore Acclaim
236*** nothing. Just the oil pressure sender.

No chain pump or as you suggested ' abs unit '.

kronich3244

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais Manual, VZ SV6 Manual
some of you guys are saying the timing chain makes a rattle on cold start... could some of you please describe what it sounds like... i have a vz sv6 on 85,000 k's and first start of the day it makes a rattle / metal tingy sound for about 2 - 4 seconds and then goes away... if you turn the car of straight away and start it again you do not here the sound... its only on first start of the day!!