Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Alloytec rebuild/recon motor near Mandurah recommendations?

IP73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SV6 Wagon
Hi WA VZ people. I have an older relative in Mandurah who has been told his VZ needs a new engine - assuming he's got the timing chain issues. He doesn't have a lot of cash. Has been quoted $3000 just to install a replacement which he has to source. Seems a bit steep to me. Can anyone recommend a good engine shop or supplier of recon/second hand Alloytecs south of Perth, preferably close to Mandurah?
Cheers
Ian P

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
$3000k is a bit steep but these are not normal times with workshops flush with work and under staffed.
There is a lot of labour involved and thats what you pay for mostly.

An engine rebuild will go way higher and be around the $8-10k mark.

I would suggest Just Commodores (no relationship with this forum) in Midvale would be worth a chat but not close by to you. They have a workshop attached to their wreckers and can perform the task of swapping out the motor or even redo the timing chain in the motor at hand.

I would suggest repairing the timing chain, and replacing the oil pump while you are in there, would be the better option. Still looking at around $2k-$3k in parts and labour.

IP73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SV6 Wagon
$3000k is a bit steep but these are not normal times with workshops flush with work and under staffed.
There is a lot of labour involved and thats what you pay for mostly.

An engine rebuild will go way higher and be around the $8-10k mark.

I would suggest Just Commodores (no relationship with this forum) in Midvale would be worth a chat but not close by to you. They have a workshop attached to their wreckers and can perform the task of swapping out the motor or even redo the timing chain in the motor at hand.

I would suggest repairing the timing chain, and replacing the oil pump while you are in there, would be the better option. Still looking at around $2k-$3k in parts and labour.
Cheers thanks - really appreciate the advice.

Regards
Ian

IP73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SV6 Wagon
Cheers thanks - really appreciate the advice.

Regards
Ian
Sorry another query - the only "Just Commodores" I can see is in Kenwick, not Midvale. Is that the place?
Cheers
Ian

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yeah, thats the place.
It's pretty rough looking but the guys there are super helpful and know their stuff.

IP73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SV6 Wagon
Yeah, thats the place.
It's pretty rough looking but the guys there are super helpful and know their stuff.
Mate just wanted to pass on a huge thankyou for this recommendation - they have already seen my relative's car and fixed it - turned out not to be the timing chains and only cost him $500-00 for oil pump repairs etc. Couldn't speak highly enough of the service!

Cheers
Ian

rowan.carlisle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6L Alloy
Hi I'm in WA and I've recently decided to rebuild my already tuned 05 VZ alloy 190. Wondering if MACE is the way to go with all performance parts from bottom up (lifters, rods, valves, crank, cams, pistons, bearings etc) - Do they have everything? If not, has anyone had experience with decent sized performance rebuilds on this alloy and wouldn't mind giving us an idea of whats the best options - Have a pretty loose budget so throw me some suggestions, Cheeeeerz

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Talk to Rev High they are the Alloytec experts. Parts should be cheaper than Mace. Mace used to be awesome but I've had some negative dealings with them last year, as had some others and unless you get the right person to speak to they no longer seem to know much about the products they are selling. Plus they don't always sell quality parts as I found out.