Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VZ] VZ and VE - How to change the oil and filter on your Alloytec. (Detailed pictures)

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
suppose it should be asked ... if your using another 4 or 5 litres of oil to flush the engine/sump does it matter what weight it is because its literally going in one hole and out the other, or does it have to be close to the weighting your putting in?

Im sort of thinking no, it doesnt matter because your just pouring it in so it pours out and takes all the gunk with it, but Im also thinking yes it does because it could clog somewhere along the way and mix in with the good stuff you pour in later.

Am I just overthinking a simple thing here???

When i change the oil on my 8, i only use 1L or so to pour through to flush out the old oil ect in the sump, i also use the same oil im going to be putting in my engine

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
thanks, I might just use 2 litres of the same stuff I'd be putting into the engine to try and give it a good flush on a tight budget.

I highly doubt its ever been done in its 180 000 kays, and next service I'll buy another 5 litre bottle of good stuff and flush it with that to make sure everythings done and gone.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
guys FYI after I drained the sump, I emptied the drain pan, and put 2.5 litres of the new oil through just as a quick flush ... and it come out looking like the old oil there was that much rubbish with it!

So next service I'll pickup another 5 litre bottle just for pouring through to clean all the gunk out.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Anyone know what the torque NM is for the filter cap and sump plug?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Also, are the fuel filters same as VY?

V

Vzniko

One thing guys, that has not been mentioned before on this thread, PLEASE DISPOSE OF OLD OIL PROPERLY. Do do flush it down any drain, Put it on a container and take it to your nearest oil disposal facility. Contact your council and they will give you an address. Most of them require no charge and they will even take your oiled rugs, old filters etc

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
Also, are the fuel filters same as VY?

No, the fuel filters are slightly different. VYs have the Z578, VZs have the Z586.

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
Absolutely fantastic write up, thank you so much - you are an absolute LEGEND :beer chug:

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Just to clarify.

VZ and VE can have either 13mm or 15mm sump plugs. Most of the 13mm were changed to 15mm but theres still a few around.

Early VEs had similar sump capacity to VZ but later models take over 7 litres. Just start off with the 6.5 then check the dipstick and add as required.

Engine flush is generally used in the old oil, adding new oil then adding engine flush is really only required in a sludged engine to try and clean the engine up. It wont hurt but its not really cost effective in a reasonably clean engine.

15k service intervals are too long. Always change your oil every 7500kms or even 5000kms if youre really keen.

Cheers.