Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Antenna Mast And Rope Replacement.

hobbygodz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS_V W310 + VZ equipe
I have the same issue with my VZ's electric aerial. My brother who works in car stereo told me the aerial assy has to be removed from the vehicle to replace the mast and cord. One day I'll get him to do it for me. :)
Thank-you for your reply Dave. Don't think I know your brother, so at least I now know how to attack it when I'm up for it. Cheers and thanks, Brad.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I don’t have personal experience, but I have read that it can be tricky to get the mast in to correct alignment with the motor unit, and that sometimes it can take many attempts. I recall reading of others experiences where they end up buying the whole unit rather than continue with the trial-and-error realignment.

In my case, the antenna was bent but still intact and working. I managed to get it apart and reinstalled the new mast and cord in the exact same position as the old antenna and it worked fine (with 3 clicks at each end of travel).

It might be worthwhile searching the forum for more information and experiences so you can decide whether to replace the whole unit or just the mast and cord.

hobbygodz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS_V W310 + VZ equipe
I don’t have personal experience, but I have read that it can be tricky to get the mast in to correct alignment with the motor unit, and that sometimes it can take many attempts. I recall reading of others experiences where they end up buying the whole unit rather than continue with the trial-and-error realignment.

In my case, the antenna was bent but still intact and working. I managed to get it apart and reinstalled the new mast and cord in the exact same position as the old antenna and it worked fine (with 3 clicks at each end of travel).

It might be worthwhile searching the forum for more information and experiences so you can decide whether to replace the whole unit or just the mast and cord.
That's good advice and I will take it on board. Might not seem so but I did do a fair chunk of googling before asking the justcommodores fellas. Should have come here first to avoid the confusion...:confused: I tried to get an OEM unit from holden but the unit and the mast were discontinued/nil stock a year ago. I was thinking to avoid aftermarket replacement units because of the bad press most got regards both fit and function. Any recommendations for a nice fitting and functioning aftermarket unit would be welcomed. I know the Aeropro AP265 antenna and rope fits fine so probably gonna try replacing that using my special swearing alignment tool. Cheers and thanks.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
just look on ebay

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I got an eBay after market unit. Had a manual mast on but wiring was all there for power antenna.

Removed the old unit as described in previous post. Put in new one. Has been working flawlessly for years.

If you think you’re going to replace just the mast etc, you’re going to ha e a bad time. M’kay.

hobbygodz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS_V W310 + VZ equipe
I got an eBay after market unit. Had a manual mast on but wiring was all there for power antenna.

Removed the old unit as described in previous post. Put in new one. Has been working flawlessly for years.

If you think you’re going to replace just the mast etc, you’re going to ha e a bad time. M’kay.
M'kay. I dont wanna pull it apart twice, so will take your advice. Cheers.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
I got a manual for my vt and electric one for my vz really is a easy job

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
View attachment 205887 Hello forum members,
I have searched the forums and online for specific information regards antenna mast and rope replacement on my VZ. (gotta wonder why it's called a "rope" eh?...)
As per the pic below, I am guessing I have to remove the black plastic base grommet to access a "special nut" underneath that retains the mast?
If this is the case, exactly H.T.F. do I remove it? Have tried carefully levering with a thin blade with no luck. Thought I should ask before breaking something....
Cheers and thanks in advance, Brad.
View attachment 205886
the special nut you refur to is under the wheel arch

hobbygodz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS_V W310 + VZ equipe
the special nut you refur to is under the wheel arch
Yeah cheers mate, I get that now. The other special nut under the wheel arch will be me.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
View attachment 205887 Hello forum members,
I have searched the forums and online for specific information regards antenna mast and rope replacement on my VZ. (gotta wonder why it's called a "rope" eh?...)
As per the pic below, I am guessing I have to remove the black plastic base grommet to access a "special nut" underneath that retains the mast?
If this is the case, exactly H.T.F. do I remove it? Have tried carefully levering with a thin blade with no luck. Thought I should ask before breaking something....
Cheers and thanks in advance, Brad.
View attachment 205886
so how did you go