Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ audio

shrapnel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V8 M6 TT
Ok, read several threads on all of this but one thing escapes me: what is the major cause of the blunt/muddy sound the audio system is producing?

Is it mainly the speakers or the quality of the h/unit's amp? It's probably both but as I'd like to take one thing at the time in upgrading the system, I'm wondering what should happen first. Thanks :)

P.S. I'm aware of low output mod :hit:

Last edited:

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
Well i've replaced all the speakers in my vz, and i gotta say mate... the quality of the factory speakers was quite poor! On the rear of the cheap paper cones is printed "15W Made in Korea". So i think that speaks for its self. And as for the head unit, i can't imagine they would be the greatest of quality keeping in mind each head unit cost about 20 bucks to manufacture.

shrapnel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V8 M6 TT
jaisvz said:
Well i've replaced all the speakers in my vz, and i gotta say mate... the quality of the factory speakers was quite poor! On the rear of the cheap paper cones is printed "15W Made in Korea". So i think that speaks for its self. And as for the head unit, i can't imagine they would be the greatest of quality keeping in mind each head unit cost about 20 bucks to manufacture.
Thanks. Any recommendation as to replacements? Front/rear doors?

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
Pioneer

I replaced my head unit first, which instantly made the sound a lot better quality. I amped a set of Pioneer REV 6x9's in the parcel tray which gave a little bit of rear thump. Then i replaced the rear door speakers with pioneer 6" coaxials and just ran them with the factory wiring. And just yesterday i replaced the front splits with the Pioneer REV series splits. I ran all new speaker wire into the front doors which wasn't the easiest of tasks to get the wire through the rubber grommet tubes connecting the body to the doors. But as a result, the finishing product is loud sharp and crystal clear sound quality that i can enjoy all damn day! All i am waiting for now is the construction of a custom dual 12" sub box to house my Pioneer subs to get a bit of junk in the trunk.

vzsv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8
Jaycar system

I have just replaced the front splits with 6.5s, added some 6x9s on the back shelf and I have left the standard speakers in the back doors (because I can't be bothered to take them out).
The fronts and rears are driven by a 4x50 Watt amp. The signal is supplied by one of Phreddys 4 channel RCA out kits.
All the speakers and the amp are from Jaycar, for the price they the best thing I have heard. Unfortunatly I don't think that you can judge the speakers on the board in the shop, so you need to either hear them in a car or take the advice of others. 12Volt King and Phreddy have both suggested Jaycar products and they were 100% out of 100 (appologies to Fatty Vautin).
There is better stuff out there, but not for this price IMHO.
My 2c worth. Steve

shrapnel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V8 M6 TT
Update

I went the other way round :) -- this afternoon I've replaced the Korean paper speakers in the rear doors with Jaycar's Precision Response' coax 6.5" speakers. The difference in quality is quite noticeable, even though I still have the stock head unit in.

What I've noticed though when I disassembled the door panel is that the paper speaker had no crossover to drive the integrated tweeter. Quite bodgy, no wonder it sounds so bad.

Next weekend -- the front splits, again with Jaycar's gear, but first:

Q1: how do you get to the tweeter located near the windscreen, are you able to lift up the plastic cover/grille from the top or do I have to disassemble the dash by getting to it from the bottom.

Q2: Where are the stock crossovers located for the stock front splits, as I'll need to replace them with Jaycar's instead?

Any info is appreciated.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
A1: leave the stock tweeters in there because there is no need to remove them due to the fact you cant fit the jaycar tweeters in there anyway.
A2:the "stock" x-over is just a capacitor on the back of the stock tweeter. just mount the jaycar x-overs under the dash or in the glovebox.
i can show you a few pics of where i have mounted everything in my car if you want.
and also make that 3 people who have recommended jaycar. (jaycar 4x130 to a set of nak splits and alpine splits and the 400Wrms monoblock running a CV 400Wrms sub -sounds good)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
garfa said:
A1: leave the stock tweeters in there because there is no need to remove them due to the fact you cant fit the jaycar tweeters in there anyway.

huh? how did you figure that one out?

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
hang on... so ts possible to fit aftermarket tweeters in the stock locations(eg undernieth the pastic vent covers on the dash)?
but really unless they tweeters are resonable for off axis us then then will sound worse than if mounted directly firing towards you. yes?

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
Got JL VR600 series 6 inch splits in a 2005 vz ute... tweaters are mounted on the original bracket under "vented" facia, are smaller in all dimensions and are directed straight out the vents... no dramas with high end sound even when ya tone them own -3db via the crossover, awesome sound for where the systems at right now. powering it is a 6 stacker blaupunkt factory head unit set on Rock eq with no additional boost!