Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ audio

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
ok i think i have stuck my nose in something i assumed would be the same as a vr-vx...
so are these vents in the same place as a V_ series car?
must be a **** (not saying its the worst) place for the imaging.

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
Tweeters in V series commodores.....

garfa said:
ok i think i have stuck my nose in something i assumed would be the same as a vr-vx...
so are these vents in the same place as a V_ series car?
must be a **** (not saying its the worst) place for the imaging.

Hey there Garfa, I have been installing tweeters in these models of cars for quite some time now....and i have never come across a set of tweeters that would not fit under the vents just below the windscreen...:p
I found that the best place for tweeters as far as imaging was concerned was to mount them on the A pillar close to the windscreen pointing slightly towards the windscreen, as to how far to point them is a matter of trial and error, depending on the tweeters frequency dispersion....although mounting them in this way doesnt look the best unless you do alot of custom work to integrate them with the interior.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
yes i gathered i stuffed up but i still think that for most tweeters it would be a less than ideal place, under the vent that is.

shrapnel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V8 M6 TT
VQXTC said:
Hey there Garfa, I have been installing tweeters in these models of cars for quite some time now....and i have never come across a set of tweeters that would not fit under the vents just below the windscreen...:p
I found that the best place for tweeters as far as imaging was concerned was to mount them on the A pillar close to the windscreen pointing slightly towards the windscreen, as to how far to point them is a matter of trial and error, depending on the tweeters frequency dispersion....although mounting them in this way doesnt look the best unless you do alot of custom work to integrate them with the interior.
VQXTC, how 'bout sharing that knowledge with me in relation to my question #1? :wave:

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
there should be some screws there in the vents? and a clip or 2?

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
to access "vent" area to modify/install tweeters.
1 if youre say working on the driver side drop the fuse box area (passenger - glovebox)to access 2 screws (all phillips head) holding the side vented trim that sits between the door and the dash unscrew those along with the remaining 3rd screw inside the vent itself and remove trim.
2 with the side vented trim removed you will see toward the top of the dash a screw to remove that retains the top vented trim.
3 with that removed u will notice it will resist comming apart... very cautiously but firmly pry upward the trim - holding it underneith is 4 sprung clips, be very careful not to damage these.
4 you will then see the tweeter 1 phillips head screw to undo that is holding the bracket to the dash with that removed you slightly slide outward along with unclip the plug for removal.

i mounted my tweeters to the bracket once i removed the oem tweeter and ran new cable from that to the crossover.
with the tweeter wired up and installed.... step back thru the steps given n u should be laughin.
please note with the top trim carefully to locate all 4 clips and firmly press into place

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
shrapnel said:
VQXTC, how 'bout sharing that knowledge with me in relation to my question #1? :wave:

Hey there shrapnel, Ok depending on your financial situation and the sort of sound that your after, i would upgrade the speakers first if money is tight a good set of splits 6", or if you still wanted some bass in the front then a good quality set of 6" coaxials, i have used and recommend MTX 3 way coaxials especially off an amp they sound sweet:p ....Or if you can afford it upgrade the speakers and the headunit, you can buy a fascia panel for the headunit that fits very neatly in the dash, then buy some ISO plugs and wire these plugs to your new headunit plug, then you dont have to damage the factory wiring for your factory headunit. Oh and you will also have to buy a European to Australian antenna adaptor as well...Hope this has helped, let me know if u would like anymore help on this....cheers

Lets work as a TEAM and do it MY WAY!! :w00t:

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQXTC said:
Hey there shrapnel, Ok depending on your financial situation and the sort of sound that your after, i would upgrade the speakers first if money is tight a good set of splits 6", or if you still wanted some bass in the front then a good quality set of 6" coaxials, i have used and recommend MTX 3 way coaxials especially off an amp they sound sweet:p ....Or if you can afford it upgrade the speakers and the headunit, you can buy a fascia panel for the headunit that fits very neatly in the dash, then buy some ISO plugs and wire these plugs to your new headunit plug, then you dont have to damage the factory wiring for your factory headunit. Oh and you will also have to buy a European to Australian antenna adaptor as well...Hope this has helped, let me know if u would like anymore help on this....cheers

Well dont i feel silly now :bang: I completely went to the top of the thread and anwered that question....(Mental note to self, need to read all responses not just the first one:whistling ) At least u will know what to do when u decide to upgrade the factory headunit....:w00t:

Lets work as a TEAM and do it MY WAY!! :w00t:[/QUOTE]

shrapnel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V8 M6 TT
cold_carve said:
to access "vent" area to modify/install tweeters.
1 if youre say working on the driver side drop the fuse box area (passenger - glovebox)to access 2 screws (all phillips head) holding the side vented trim that sits between the door and the dash unscrew those along with the remaining 3rd screw inside the vent itself and remove trim.
2 with the side vented trim removed you will see toward the top of the dash a screw to remove that retains the top vented trim.
3 with that removed u will notice it will resist comming apart... very cautiously but firmly pry upward the trim - holding it underneith is 4 sprung clips, be very careful not to damage these.
4 you will then see the tweeter 1 phillips head screw to undo that is holding the bracket to the dash with that removed you slightly slide outward along with unclip the plug for removal.

i mounted my tweeters to the bracket once i removed the oem tweeter and ran new cable from that to the crossover.
with the tweeter wired up and installed.... step back thru the steps given n u should be laughin.
please note with the top trim carefully to locate all 4 clips and firmly press into place
Excellent, thanks for this. I've looked in a few 'manuals' but none of them actually go through the process. Just in time for weekend! Thanks again.:hit:

shrapnel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V8 M6 TT
VQXTC said:
Well dont i feel silly now :bang: I completely went to the top of the thread and anwered that question....(Mental note to self, need to read all responses not just the first one:whistling ) At least u will know what to do when u decide to upgrade the factory headunit....:w00t:

Haha no problem. The fact is I've started with speakers as I'm still undecided about the head unit, leave it stock and get the phreddy's line-in + amp done or go with a new one, the new JVC KD-AVX2 is so tempting as I also need to buy an mp3 player as well and it wouldn't bother me burning mp3 DVDs... and if I could get a hold of the european version (plays DIVX)...:driving:

Last edited: