Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Auto Centre Bearing

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
Hi all,
first post in the VZ forum. I just picked up a 05 VZ auto sedan and it needs the tailshaft centre bearing replaced.
I've tried searching and can't get a definite answer on whether the 2 halves come apart, surely they must, and can it be done by your average backyarder.
I get that the uni joint is non-serviceable, but does the auto sedan have a slip joint for the rear half to get the bearing off?
Thanks
Ross.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If it is like the VR one the two halves unbolt from each other. IMO it's not easy to do yourself except for removing the shaft itself. Its 45mins labour to remove and refit the bearing. Not all mechanical shops do them as they can be tricky to get right.

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
Job done! its easier than the video makes it look, which was pretty easy. From go to whoa, 1.5hours and that includes time to get the tools out, get the car up in the air, do the job, put everything away and get the car back down.
So, yes the VZ V6 4 speed tail-shaft does split just like the video, despite 3 mechanics telling me that it doesn't.

Cheers
Ross

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Here you go some pages from the VZ Workshop Manual

Attachments

• VZ Commodore Drive Line removal.pdf
    289.2 KB · Views: 1,779

robgm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim 2005
For the Commodore VZ V6 does the exhaust have to be taken out to get to the shaft?