Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ auto shutdown - do I need a new EMS

zoenryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 , VZ Wagon V6, VE Saloon V6 LPG, VX V6
Hi
First some background - bought the 2007 VZ wagon over a year ago - changed the timing chains and plug coils back then and has been good for 40K kms . Started getting check oil warnings a couple of months ago. Changed the oil sensor - warnings persisted. Fitted a cheap oil pressure gauge to see what was going on - OK when cold but when hot 25 PSI at 2000 rpm - zero ( yes 0 psi) at tickover. No associated rattles from engine.
Decided to change the oil pump - now improved oil pressure but still 0-10 psi at tickover - using Penrite HPR 5 - 40 , but no alarms.
I am now consistently getting a misfire on bank 1 which gets worse from cold to hot and the following error codes gradually appear
P0016 Camshaft crakshaft correlation
P0008
P0303
P0300 Multiple misfire
All of which would point to chain stretch.

Now - here is the weird one . If I clear all of the codes with the engine running (hot) , the misfire disappears and the trouble codes do not come back. There is still a very slight misfire at tick over - almost nothing , and yesterday drove for 30 minutes without any problem or the codes returning .
Go from cold to hot and the the codes re-appear and the misfire gets worse. Almost like the engine is going into shutdown mode .
Have ordered 2 new crank angle sensors .
Have also had the timing cover off twice now just to chack the chain timing - its ok .

Anyone got any ideas ?

By the way - I have a Autel AL619 code reader and recommend them.