Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ auto- starter ring gear broken--- ideas anyone?

Berlina&Jag guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina Wagon
Hi everyone.
Been a terrible day. Drove to Bunnings and parked on the street outside. Got in to go home and horrendous noise on turn-key. Guessed the starter so I came back later with tools and pulled the starter (needed to remove the exhaust manifold to get to it). I was hoping it was just the starter but the flywheel ring gear had several teeth missing and mangled (starter teeth were worn but OK--ish). I hand turned the crank with a socket bar to get it to a differnet position but still no-go.
The car is high milage but otherwise good and I've maintained it with new parts consistently for five years so I want to keep it but at the same time when do you stop throwing good money after bad.
I'm wondering about the feasability of changing the ring gear/ flywheel on the street- lying under the vehicle. If it needs to go to a garage then tow ($200?) plus mechanic ($500-$1000) suddenly it gets out of hand and maybe its time to say goodbye.
I'm well equiped and above average regards home mechanic skill level but I've never done a transmission removal on axle stands (is it even possible?)
Does anyone have experience with this and/or ideas.

Thanks in advance for your advise.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hi everyone.
Been a terrible day. Drove to Bunnings and parked on the street outside. Got in to go home and horrendous noise on turn-key. Guessed the starter so I came back later with tools and pulled the starter (needed to remove the exhaust manifold to get to it). I was hoping it was just the starter but the flywheel ring gear had several teeth missing and mangled (starter teeth were worn but OK--ish). I hand turned the crank with a socket bar to get it to a differnet position but still no-go.
The car is high milage but otherwise good and I've maintained it with new parts consistently for five years so I want to keep it but at the same time when do you stop throwing good money after bad.
I'm wondering about the feasability of changing the ring gear/ flywheel on the street- lying under the vehicle. If it needs to go to a garage then tow ($200?) plus mechanic ($500-$1000) suddenly it gets out of hand and maybe its time to say goodbye.
I'm well equiped and above average regards home mechanic skill level but I've never done a transmission removal on axle stands (is it even possible?)
Does anyone have experience with this and/or ideas.

Thanks in advance for your advise.
It is possible to do on jack stands, but probably have to remove exhaust, propshaft, transmission and crossmember, torque convertor or clutch just to get to the drive plate/flywheel.

It's a big job and you never know what you'll find pulling all that apart.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You will also need the car on decent quality jack stands. On a smooth clean surface and gets really good big rubber wheel chocks for the back.
Why?
Because if it goes wrong and the car moves pulling on a transmission, you’re dead. So there’s that.

Would I do it in the street? No.

* Shouldn’t be any need to remove the manifold to remove a starter motor.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Get done at a garage. Pay the money.
Buy a new car and you’re up for 30-50 times that cost.

Buy a second hand car and who knows how many thousand you’ll throw at it to get it back to something well maintained.

You know this car.
You have it looked after.
It won’t be good money after bad.

The car market just isn’t what it used to be. There is value in older cars. They are fixable.

Reactions: Lex

Berlina&Jag guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina Wagon
Taken advice here. Its booked in. Estimate is $7-800 plus towing and parts/fluid etc.
I guess it now becomes a forever car.
This wagon is the longest Ive ever had a vehicle (my brand new 2013 VW transporter was previous record holder at 3 years)- I plan to keep it forever and just do the repairs whatever the cost.
24hrs in a rental- some front wheel drive asian piece of c*** with all the bells/warnings and wierd steering grabbing whenever I go too close to the centre line----aaaaargh. Makes me appreciate a real mans vehicle- 6 cylinders feeding the rear with at least 200HP.

Berlina&Jag guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Berlina Wagon
PS: my Jag has 12 cylinders that is my preference after 6cyl - only problem is you have to tow an oil tanker behind in the Jag!
This alloytec is a thoroughly undervalued motor- i don't know why there isn't a proper aftermarket for tuning it.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
top-gear-jeremy-clarkson.gif