Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ battery disconect times question.

TAFFY EVANS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EXEC.
hi guys.

my question to the VZ forum is,when you do car repairs on the VZ commodore, if you remove the negative battery lead,will you lose all the main engine ECU type computer settings, radio, clock, BCM etc etc ???.

there is a tool that plugs into the cigarette socket and works i think on 5 volts too retain all the above computer settings i believe ??? " car battery memory minder ".

is there a time limit, eg one hour or three days before you could lose all the computer readings, and render the car not capable of a engine restart ...

your help most welcomed.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
You are only likely to loose radio security (perhaps but not 100%), radio settings and clock settings. You could rig another battery to connect to the battery lead you have removed from the car battery but if you are working on the car you still run the risk of short circuiting if tools etc make contact with live connections. Best to completely disconnect and have no power at all in the vehicle. Other engine/electronic components ECU. BCM won't be affected. The car should start when you reconnect the battery - making sure of course that it is charged. Good luck.