Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Berlina Wagon l67 conversion

Leno_Zen1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon
Hi guys
First time post, but been reading these useful posts for years.
So long story short, I've had my alloytec for about 12 months. In that 12 months have spent too much money on the car fixing things that leave the car undrivable.

Last thing was about 3 weeks ago I am no mechanic myself which is why I couldn't diagnose the issue yet I had a mechanic tell me it was multiple things. Replaced them, no go
Replaced more no go.

I got fed up, seen a l67 ecotec conversion for a good price. You beauty how hard could it be,
I'm now balls deep into this job too far to come back from and I'm just looking for some info on things to expect.

Obviously taking a step backward in time is never going to be easy, especially from alloy to eco. But the ecotec is such a better engine.

So far I've got all the suspension power steering rack wheels all bolted to the new k frame which the engine came with . It's currently sitting under the car an I'm ready to drop the car down.

I got the ECU with the engine, high flow headers, wiring loom k frame, belts hoses etc
I've gone out and bought from an ecotec
a new air box and maf
Accelerator pedal box and cable
Air con pump compressor as they are different
A bcm and key fob just in case for some reason I need one out of an ecotec
And heater hoses.
I'm unsure if the fuel lines to the tank and fuel pump will need changing
And I'm also curious about the ECU and bcm linking or what I have to do in this case to link them.

If there is any other inconveniences I may experience any kind of advice would be c completely appreciated. I'm totally aware this could have been a dumb idea but what do you do.

Thanks for your time
Greg

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Im no expert but isn't it illegal to put an older engine in a newer vehicle? You might have trouble registering the car

Leno_Zen1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon
Im no expert but isn't it illegal to put an older engine in a newer vehicle? You might have trouble registering the car

Well that would apply if I were to let the car run outta rego
Luckily Pink slips are easy to come by these days

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Well that would apply if I were to let the car run outta rego
Luckily Pink slips are easy to come by these days

Love to read posts from guys who think they are smarter than the law, but demonstrate such a poor knowledge of it.
If you change the engine, by law you are required to have the new engine no. inspected and the rego details updated on the Motor Transport authority for your state. You apparently live in NSW, so good luck with that. It won't pass. Full stop. Even shonky inspection stations would baulk at passing a car with an illegal engine fitted. And, if you decide never to change the engine number, think about how you eventually sell the car with mismatched rego details.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
This is not going to end well as a road register car.

Unless you could make it and prove that it is Euro emissions 3 compliant, even then it would be a tough sell to licensing staff, and definitely not a cop with some knowledge on what should be under the bonnet of a VZ.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
and what about insurance greenslip and 3rd party damage or comp you wont be covered

Leno_Zen1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon
Hey guys yeahhh mate that's it think I'm above the law wrong.
Cheers for the knowledge guys if your just going to waste my time with knowledge on the law when I'm after mechanical help then this thread is useless.
Cheers!

Leno_Zen1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon
And technically not one of you have asked if it's getting emissions tested and engineered as everything I have brought for the car was legal, and thought through.
Not letting rego run out means,
More time to engineer
And the people who have replied so far just save your breathe
Obviously you have no mechanical knowledge to give

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
And technically not one of you have asked if it's getting emissions tested and engineered as everything I have brought for the car was legal, and thought through.
Not letting rego run out means,
More time to engineer
And the people who have replied so far just save your breathe
Obviously you have no mechanical knowledge to give
We have more knowledge between us than you could collect in a lifetime. You want to be the clever dick who thinks he can get around the law in one of the toughest standard registration states in the country and give us stick because we don't ask what compliance tests etc you conducted? All you've done is swap mechanicals from one body to an identical one, which anyone can do. Yep, wrong forum pal.

Leno_Zen1111

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon
Then stop dicking me around and tell me solutions to the issue instead of useless crap and I will go and get it engineered.
You can claim to have all you want but all I'm seeing is arrogance