Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz build stuff up

frank6969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
So i've just been told by my local mechanic that my commodores timeing chain is stuffed, apparently it is a build defect on the vz 175 motor that Holden has built them with the wrong size timeing chain mainly affecting the 06 model just wondering I anyone has ever come across this problem before and how much it might cost to get it fixed?

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
News to me, how many k's has yours done?
My Dad's '06 exec (built June) as done over 110,000k & has never had any issues. Is that all the '06 model range or just between certain months?

frank6969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
Ahh just tiped over 150000ks ive just booked it in and was talking to the michanic and apparently the chains strech and beacuse most commodores only get the 15000km service not the 7500km service it's hard to pick up on it

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Ahh just tiped over 150000ks ive just booked it in and was talking to the michanic and apparently the chains strech and beacuse most commodores only get the 15000km service not the 7500km service it's hard to pick up on it

My VX has service reminders every 10000km , but I think my brothers VZ has every 15000km. Don't know why, engine oil certainly doesn't last that long.

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
My VX has service reminders every 10000km , but I think my brothers VZ has every 15000km. Don't know why, engine oil certainly doesn't last that long.

Depends on the type of oil you use.I use Mobil 1 synthetic but when the oil is changed it still looks like new.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2

No it doesn't last that long. They made the sumps bigger from VY onwards to decrease service intervals.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Depends on the type of oil you use.I use Mobil 1 synthetic but when the oil is changed it still looks like new.

well when oil is doing its job it will mix the excess carbon from combustion process into the oil to prevent it sticking to the motor, so if the oil comes out clean... than you got to wonder........

there was a batch of vz and ve's that had the defective chains, so will do it some wont, what they were doing was fitting a smaller chain to reduce chain noise, problem was they streched, it well documented at holden and there was a replacement program going for cars affected with the noise