Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz calais 190kw v6 to v8 conversion

alex.m

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz sv6 and vz calais project
hi all im new to the fourm and am converting a calais i got to a gen 3 ls1 im just wantang a list of what i need i have the motor and all bolt ons k frame am getting a caprice set of computers for it just woundering what else i need to replace and if any parts that are in the calais can be used running gear wise

Last edited:

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Wow does a new user have the rights to remove a post?

Waughy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Mini Clubman
Personally I'd go looking for a factory V8 rather than waste my time converting a V6 (unless I was fitting an LS2/3 for something unique and uncommon), but seeing as that's not what you want to hear I won't go on about it.
I take it you have a gearbox and tail shaft (I'm thinking with the V8 gearbox the tailshaft will be a different length. Not sure if the Caprice tailshaft is the right length for a sedan or it's longer). You'd probably want to replace the diff to handle the V8 I'd imagine. You'll also need to reprogram your dash cluster for the V8, or your speedo will be out, and you'll get a service error for the gearbox not matching, like I'm getting in my wagon. I fitted a Calais cluster to my exec, and the guy that programmed it didn't change the auto from 5 speed to 4 speed. Now I get a service error every time I start the car. A simple fix that I'll get to, doesn't affect the car, just annoying.