Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Calais 2005 V6 ESP \ TCS

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
In the last month, I have purchased a second-hand 2005 Holden Calais, V6 (VZ) which to my understanding has Electronic Stability Control. This car was an upgrade to a previous 1999 VTII Calais which featured traction control.

In my older car, whenever I attempted to force the acceleration, any loss of traction would trigger the TCS to stop the engine power so the wheel could regain traction.

My question stems from my VZ calais. On engine startup, the system check does not report any concerns nor are there any warning lights. However, although this car has ESP and not stand-alone TCS, I am not convinced that the ESP is working correctly.

On a dry open road, I decided to test the system. I locked the front wheels to the right and forced the accelerator down. I noticed the back wheels were skidding and had lost traction. Probably due to the dry roads and not ESP I assume the reason why I never lost control.

Is it normal for my VZ Calais V6 which has ESP to let the wheels spin for seconds?

I ask this question to those who either drive a VZ Holden Calais, V6 only as the V8 does not have ESP and to those who are knowledgable in this area.

Thank you.

crazy2009

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2005 VZ V6
I also have 2005 Calais VZ You will a small amount of spin when the issue is forced in the way you are doing it under normal condition say light wet or rain the ESp will kick in pretty well

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Thank you very much for your reply.
If I were to go on grass and force the accelerator, if wheelspin occurs, should ESP kick in?

Do you get any warning messages on the drivers console screen indicating either "ESP" or "Low Traction" when this occurs in your vehicle. How long do they appear for and do they automatically disappear or do you have to hit the mode button?

Not once have i ever received a message

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
in the SV6 we get a 'Low Traction' with some squiggly line behind a car come up..

Thank you for your reply!
Holden has mentioned to me that the TCS on the SV6 and other models works differently to the ESP as found on the Calais. However, I have had significant wheelspin without losing control and without any ESP\TC warning messages hence my confusion as to whether it is working.

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
ESP only works at speed.

"ESP greatly improves vehicle safety performance in situations where the driver takes emergency action to avoid a collision. It does this by electronically correcting vehicle paths through brake application to individual wheels and engine torque management. The system operates so smoothly that in most situations the driver will not be aware it has been activated."

The test you performed should have activated TCS and torque management.

You also have, ABS, CBC, EBD, EBA.

Read this.

crazy2009

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2005 VZ V6
The above is correct in the manner to which operates

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Thank you for your replies.

I certainly did notice TCS working when I tested the vehicle by locking the front wheels and forcing the acceleration.
Are you able to tell me if I am meant to get any visual messages\ warning tones when TCS or ESP has been activated on the Holden Calais VZ V6?
If so, how long is that warning and does the warning require you to press the "mode" button to remove the warning or does it automatically disappear after a few seconds or so?

apprecaited!

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Loss of traction comes up on display then dissapears unsure about ESP

KrisHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Thank you. If I may ask, does it appear for long? I ask how long it appears as I wonder if I am I just missing it
One Holden dealership said its not working, the next holden dealership said ESP is working correctly. I am more than confused and I beleive its not working considering traction control does not kick in as you said when I feel it should.