Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz calais - 5.7 or 6.0L?

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
hi everyone,

i'm keen on picking up a vz calais with low k's, but i'm having trouble deciding on which V8 engine to take. i've done a bit of research, and people have said the 6.0L is generally a better engine. seeing as though the VZ saw the last of the 5.7 (which would have been further refined from it's original release with the VT II), whilst it was also the introduction model for the 6.0L, which makes me wonder if there is the possibility of any bugs (which sometimes happens with new engines).

i'm a bit skeptical because the factory specifications say the 5.7 averages 13.4L/100km, whilst the 6.0 creeps up to the 14.0L/100km mark. i've read the 5.7 is capable of remarkable economy if driven carefully.

the power difference doesn't bother me, i'm more concerned about reliability and fuel economy.

can anyone confirm this? what are your experiences?

cheers.

Last edited:

mickhq

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Hey i've just got myself a VZ calais a few weeks ago and was having similar thoughts to you. I ended up getting the 2005 5.7 mainly due to price and availabilty. Its been fine so far with no leaks or issues.

I can see where you a coming from with the idea of the first series always having a few bugs, but i wouldn't let that hold you back if you found a well priced car that you liked
Mine has 70k on it and paid about 20k for it if that helps

azzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY 9.5 SSV Sportswagon M6 & 08 prado D4D GXL M6
It would depend on price. If you can buy a 6ltr for around the same coin as a 5.7 (say 1k difference) then i'd go for the 6ltr. Having said that, if it was 2k+ difference the 5.7 would be good value as you could get a mail order tune (around $500) have around the same power as a 6ltr and use less fuel. My ss 5.7 m6 averages around the 14 to 16l/100km around town and 8 to 9l/100kms highway. It has a maffless mail order tune, exhaust and headers (h&m shorty try y's) and otr. These things when tuned can be quite economical for the size of the engine and the amount of power they put out so somthing to think about. Either way go for it mate, There a good thing.
Cheers

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
If reliability and economy are your main priorities over power then why not look at just getting a 3.6L?

If it has to be an 8, fair enough... just saying you know...

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
I bet your $100 you wont leave it stock... you cant have a 6ltr v8 sitting there with cast iron headers now can you lol

go the 6.0 ;)

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
yea it's gotta be an 8 lol. does anyone know if the 6.0L is more economic than the 5.7? despite what the factory specifications say?

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
Wasn't the 6L an LS2 aswel? or did they stroke the 5.7's out to 6L on the LS1's for the last run VZ's and the only LS2's were in the R8's n ****? Either way 6L gives you more capacity for more power (even if only marginally) because admit it, it's a V8, you aren't going to drive it economically all the time, you'd be lying to yourself hehe