Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ calais Audio

Grantcore

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 Lanos
My last car, my Subaru was stolen and the insurance money should be coming through soon, and with all the cash ive been saving i should hopefully have enough money to jump behind the wheel of a VZ calais by the end of the month if the rite one comes along.

but now to the audio questions.

i was wondering if anyone on here knows what the standard system in the VZ calais is a 10 speaker system but what does it consist of?

and is it possible to re wire the factory head unit to include ipod and be able to run amps?
or is it better to change to a doubble din aftermarket headunit.
ide prefer to stay stock to use steering wheel controls.
any feed back would be appreciated.

money isnt too much of an issue as this will be my girlfriends car when i can change over to my fulls

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Im not too sure on 10 speakers, but you'll have two tweeters in the dash, two in the front doors, two in the rear doors and two 8" subwoofers in the parcel shelf i believe. So theres 8???? Unless they have tweeters in the rear doors?

I dont know about modding the factory unit for iPod, but it can be done to have 4 channels of RCA preouts (front and rear). If your interested in getting this done, send ASR audio an email (not pm) and they should get back to you with a price etc.

Its up to you in the end, if you REALLY want the factory stereo to stay, then its possible to build a system around it. But you will miss out on things like USB /MP3 and bluetooth, iPod is a maybe, include this in your email to ASR.
If you do upgrade head-units, it is possible to retain the factory steering wheel controls with the aid of a CAT, it basically connects to your steering wheel controls and interprets the signals for the aftermarket unit to adjust settings etc.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
the rear doors are a twin cone speaker....not two way...just twin cone....manufacturers like to consider these a second pair of speakers....cause....well they are sort of, just passives radiators....sort of....erm, hard to explain.

V8Silverfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VZ SS A4
This is what you need ... but is a bit on the expensive side ...

holden (udcaus)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/VladApostolov#p/a/u/0/teO8ZODCr_A[/video]

Grantcore

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 Lanos
Yeah thanks heaps guys
with the speakers I figured it was front with tweeter rear door the 2 subs and I was leaning toward something like 5x4 in the shelf.

Do 6.5 fit in front and 6" in rear doors?
And with the 8" subs could they be replaced In factory spots with 12" subs as well?
And I know the hole ther is no point changing rear speakers if you don't carry passangers but I only realy use a car when I have more then me cause I have the bike for a to b with the just me.

And on further consideration I'll probably go aftermarket DVD head unit, cause I know once kids are on the way I'll want DVD screens in the back.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
6.5"s do fit in all four doors, some models require a little modification to the speaker pods but nothing major.
You mean replace the factory 8" subs with 12"? if thats the case then no, i wouldnt think theres enough room on the parcel shelf for 12s, you want them in a box anyway. If you have rear seat passengers just replace the rear doors speaker with co-axials and power them off the head-unit, that will be plenty.

Grantcore

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 Lanos
Yeah thanks heaps guys
with the speakers I figured it was front with tweeter rear door the 2 subs and I was leaning toward something like 5x4 in the shelf.

Do 6.5 fit in front and 6" in rear doors?
And with the 8" subs could they be replaced In factory spots with 12" subs as well?
And I know the hole ther is no point changing rear speakers if you don't carry passangers but I only realy use a car when I have more then me cause I have the bike for a to b with the just me.

And on further consideration I'll probably go aftermarket DVD head unit, cause I know once kids are on the way I'll want DVD screens in the back.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
6.5" speakers will fit in the front and rear doors, some brands may require small modifications to the pod itself but nothing huge.

The 8" subs are infinite baffle, which means they dont use a normal "box", instead using the boot as a box. Not really the best results, plus i highly doubt youre going to get 12" subs in the parcel shelf.
If space is an issue you might want to look into the rear quarter panel boxes available on eBay, heres an example for a VT/VX but they do come up for VY/VZs fairly often. This way you get a subwoofer and it takes up minimal space.

Grantcore

Reaction score
Members Ride
00 Lanos
space isnt a issue, if it was possible to put 12's in the parcel i was planing on building a box around them anyway, is it better to have them face inward to the cabbin or towards the rear of the boot?
and where would be the best place to put dynamatt? i dont want the regular doof doof with the rattle rattle.

fingers crossed ill be picking one up in 2 weeks, got my eye on one and looking at it next saturday

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
No im fairly sure its impossible to fit 2 12s in the parcel shelf. But thats just one problem. The second is the major mods you'll have to do to the top piece of the parcel shelf and another one is theft. Not to mention how hard its going to be to make a box for parcel shelf-mounted subs.

Its better to face the towards the tail lights, the sub/s load off the rear of the boot and "amplify" the bass as its goes into the cabin, if thats sense.
To eliminate rattles firstly install the system, then while its playing (and rattling), pinpoint any rattles and use some sort of rubber or foam to stop them. Rattles are caused by two objects touching each other (or rubbing etc). So rubber or foam will separate the two objects and get rid of the rattle ;)